Brew City News (22-Oct-2007 : Week 29)
- BCFA Fantasy League: Dynamo Silver Spring are the 2007 BCFA Fantasy League champions, breaking a Top Shelf-Aviators hegemony which has lasted since 2001. The rest of the Top 10 are Weirder Bremen (736/21) up one spot, Top Shelf (715/-1) down one spot, Aviators (713/16), Geckos (694/6), Shaolin Mystigods (693/7), Phoenix TS (690/11), Rogue Squadron (660/25) up one spot, Surreywood Rangers (656/8), down one spot and In off the post (630/9). Alewive FC (628/11) and late-surging Chicago 1871 (627/22) barely missed out.
- MFLS Fantasy League: RevSolutions are the 2007 MFLS Fantasy League champions. Joining RevSolutions on the podium are Chupacabra FC (769/16) and FC Orlando 98 (762/16), up one spot. Also in the Top 10 are Dynamo Silver Spring (760/11) down one spot, Honkers Galore (756/17) up two spots, Stonebury United (754/17) down one spot, unclean sheets (747/17) up two spots, FC Chunkers (743/10) down two spots, Locomotive Baltimore (743/21) up two spots, and ManaMana (739/9) down two spots. Brew City sides joining Dynamo Silver Spring in the MFLS Top 25 are #11 Weirder Bremen (736/21) up three spots, #18 Top Shelf (715/-1) down five spots, and #19 Aviators (713/16) up two spots.
- John Thomson Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring are the 2007 John Thomson Cup champions. Top Shelf (374/9) placed and Arrows S.C. (370/9) showed, knocking Aviators (365/3) off the podium. Weirder Bremen (364/4) finished fifth.
- MFLS Prediction League: Hakuna Matata are the 2007 MFLS Prediction League champions. The rest of the Top 10 are SDFC Macross (410/6), Peril FC (402/11) up three spots, FC Unit (402/8) up one spot, FC Chunkers (401/5) down two spots, Ukraine Train (399/4) down two spots, Metro Boys No Bull (396/5), Bucks (394/5), Islanders FC (394/5) and Verax United (391/4). Two teams finished on 390 points, one on 388, one on 387, one on 384, three on 383, and one each on 382, 381 and 380, making for a thrilling finale.
Brew City News (16-Oct-2007 : Week 28)
- In off the post (31 pts / 17th place) finished in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
- BCFA Fantasy League: The top three look set after Top Shelf (716/22) and Weirder Bremen (715/29) put some distance between themselves and Aviators (697/18). Aviators have previously finished 1st (2001), 4th (2002), 1st (2003), 6th (2004), 1st (2005) and 1st (2006). Rounding out the Top 5 are Geckos (688/17) up one spot. Next are Shaolin Mystigods (686/8) down one spot, Phoenix TS (679/22), Surreywood Rangers (648/5), Rogue Squadron (635/13), In off the post (621/31) up two spots, Alewive FC (617/11) down one spot, and in 12th place Real Hillsdale (615/14) down one spot.
- MFLS Fantasy League: RevSolutions (773/23) have virtually guaranteed themselves the 2007 title after extending their lead to 20 points over second place Chupacabra FC (753/8), who are in danger of falling off the podium. They are followed by Dynamo Silver Spring (749/22), FC Orlando 98 (746/24), Stonebury United (737/18) down one spot, FC Chunkers (733/16) down one spot, Honkers Galore (739/27) up two spots, ManaMana (730/25) down one spot, unclean sheets (730/27) down two spots, Locomotive Baltimore (722/21) and Heresy House (718/6) down three spots. Brew City sides joining Dynamo Silver Spring in the MFLS Top 25 are #13 Top Shelf (716/22), #14 Weirder Bremen (715/29) up one spot, #21 Aviators (697/18) down four spots, and #24 Shaolin Mystigods (686/8) down six spots.
- John Thomson Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring (383/18) put enough points between themselves and Top Shelf (365/14) and Aviators (362/13) to ensure that they will win the 2007 fantasy/prediction double. Still in contention for place and show are Arrows S.C. (361/21) and Weirder Bremen (360/21).
- MFLS Prediction League: Baring some sort of disaster, Hakuna Matata (413/16) looked to have locked up the 2007 prediction title. They are followed by SDFC Macross (404/14), FC Chunkers (396/14), Ukraine Train (395/15), FC Unit (394/14), Peril FC (391/12), Metro Boys No Bull (391/12), Bucks (389/12) up one spot, Islanders FC (389/12) up one spot, and Verax United (387/16), who are new to the top 10. Hanstar (378/dnp), who were 8th, dropped seven spots after failing to make any predictions.
Brew City News (08-Oct-2007 : Week 27)
- Grass Pitch Please (27 pts / 13th place) and Aviators (679/26) finished in the MFLS Weekly Top 25, the first Brew City sides to do so in four weeks.
- BCFA Fantasy League: Dynamo Silver Spring (727/16), are still first, and Fransisco Franco is still dead. The second group is Top Shelf (694/19), Weirder Bremen (686/14), Aviators (679/26) up two spots, Shaolin Mystigods (678/18), Geckos (671/7) down two spots, and Phoenix TS (657/13). That group was whittled by one as 8th place Surreywood Rangers (640/2) are now behind by a significant margin. The third group is still lead by 9th place Rogue Squadron (619/6). That group also lost a few teams as 14th place Darcian Greywacke (580/17) opened up a 25-point gap on 15th place Mike’s Ninja Turtles (555/5), who “lead” the new fourth group. The now fifth group is still topped by Grass Pitch Please (504/27).
- MFLS Fantasy League: RevSolutions (750/11) remain top of all MFLS. They are followed by Chupacabra FC (745/14), Dynamo Silver Spring (727/16) up one spot, FC Orlando 98 (722/9) down one spot, Stonebury United (719/17) up one spot, FC Chunkers (717/12) down one spot, Honkers Galore (712/11), Heresy House (712/16) up two spots, ManaMana (705/8) down one spot, and unclean sheets (703/10) still in 10th place. Besides #3 Dynamo Silver Spring, Brew City also has #13 Top Shelf (694/19), #15 Weirder Bremen (686/14), #17 Aviators (679/26), #18 Shaolin Mystigods (678/18) and #22 Geckos (671/7) in the MLFS Top 25.
- John Thomson Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring (365/8) are top. Top Shelf (351/18) and Aviators (349/20) are closing fast. Next are Arrows S.C. (340/16), Weirder Bremen (339/17), Juice10 (323/14) and Shaolin Mystigods (312/8).
- MFLS Prediction League: Hakuna Matata (397/14) are first. Next in line are SDFC Macross (390/16), FC Chunkers (382/12) up one spot, Ukraine Train (380/17) up three spots, FC Unit (380/14) up two spots, Peril FC (379/11) down one spot, Metro Boys No Bull (379/5) down three spots, Hanstar (378/16), Bucks (377/17), Islanders FC (377/17). #14 Dynamo Silver Spring (365/8), down three spots, are joined in the MFLS Top 25 by fellow Brew City side, #25 Top Shelf (351/18).
Brew City News (01-Oct-2007 : Week 26)
- BCFA Fantasy League: There are several distinct groups in the table. Dynamo Silver Spring (711/35), obviously, is first, in a group by itself. The next group is 2nd through 8th place, where a team could move up or down within the group, but is unlikely to move out of the group. (For better or ill.) Teams in that group are Top Shelf (675/19), Weirder Bremen (672/27), Geckos (664/22), Shaolin Mystigods (660/35), Aviators (653/34), Phoenix TS (644/27) and 8th place Surreywood Rangers (638/28). The third group ranges from 9th place Rogue Squadron (613/22) to 19th place MurphDogs (523/29). The fourth group range from 20th place Grass Pitch Please (477/5) to 23rd place JC Comets (463/24). Also, alone, but at the bottom is FC Springfield (325/11) who fell from 125- to 138-back.
- MFLS Fantasy League: RevSolutions (739/21) remain top of all MFLS. They are followed by Chupacabra FC (731/28), FC Orlando 98 (713/33) and Dynamo Silver Spring (711/35) who each moved up a spot, FC Chunkers (705/15) who fell two spots, Stonebury United (702/32) up two spots, Honkers Galore (701/36) up two spots, ManaMana (697/26) down a spot, Heresy House (696/13) down four spots, and Top 10 newcomers unclean sheets (693/35).
- John Thomson Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring (357/8) are top, followed by Top Shelf (333/7), Aviators (329/20) up a spot, Arrows S.C. (324/15) up a spot, Weirder Bremen (322/12) down two spots, Juice10 (309/dnp) and Shaolin Mystigods (304/20) who closed the huge gap to fifth place with a big prediction week and Juice10 no show.
- MFLS Prediction League: Hakuna Matata (383/13) are first. Next in line are SDFC Macross (374/9) and Metro Boys No Bull (374/9), even for the second straight week, FC Chunkers (370/7), Peril FC (368/16) up three spots, FC Unit (366/8) down a spot, Ukraine Train (363/10), Hanstar (362/8) down two spots, Bucks (360/8) down a spot, Islanders FC (360/8) down a spot, and Dynamo Silver Spring (357/8). Four teams are within three points of Dynamo Silver Spring.
Brew City News (24-Sep-2007 : Week 25)
- BCFA Fantasy League: Dynamo Silver Spring (676/18) maintain a firm grip on the lead, but Top Shelf (656/25) moved ahead of Weirder Bremen (645/9) for the runnerup spot. Geckos (642/13) are fourth. Fifth place Shaolin Mystigods (625/12) lost ground to Aviators (619/20) and Phoenix TS (617/16). At the bottom, FC Springfield (314/19) look certain to finish last, as they are a whopping 125 points behind 23rd place JC Comets (439/8) with only four weeks to play.
- MFLS Fantasy League: RevSolutions (718/25) remain top of all MFLS. They are followed by Chupacabra FC (703/20), FC Chunkers (690/13), FC Orlando 98 (680/21) and Dynamo Silver Spring (676/18), who moved into a tie with Heresy House (676/13) for fifth place. ManaMana (671/16), Stonebury United (670/20), Honkers Galore (665/13) and The St. Louis Cure (664/8) round out the Top 10.
- John Thomson Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring (349/8) all but got the title locked up, with Top Shelf (326/17) also good money to finish runnerup. There’s a dog fight for the final podium spot between Weirder Bremen (310/18), Aviators (309/18), Arrows S.C. (309/19) and Juice10 (309/22).
- MFLS Prediction League: Hakuna Matata (370/5) are first, closely followed by SDFC Macross (365/22), Metro Boys No Bull (365/21), FC Chunkers (363/12), FC Unit (358/18), Hanstar (354/17), Ukraine Train (353/27), Peril FC (352/12), Bucks (352/17), Islanders FC (352/17), and in 11th place, Brew City’s top team, Dynamo Silver Spring (349/8). Three more teams are on 348 points.
Brew City News (17-Sep-2007 : Week 24)
- League Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring are the 2007 League Cup champions. Dynamo led going into the week, on 12 points and +35 ‘goal’ diff, over Weirder Bremen (12/+22) and Pioneer Detasselers (12/+18). When Dynamo and Weirder drew 51:51, the table was set for Pioneer to move up, but instead they fell 37:46 to Aviators. Mike’s Ninja Turtles and Grass Pitch Please are relegated, Mikes finishing seventh on 9/-14 to 9/+3 for Top Shelf who barely avoided embarassing themselves twice in one year.
Dynamo Silver Spring
Geckos are 2nd Division champions. Geckos scored 247 ‘goals’ to 246 for second place In off the post and 245 for Surreywood Rangers. Geckos finished on 15/+72, IOTP on 15/+22 and Surreywood on 12/+40, after Surreywood lost 48:50 to IOTP. MurphDogs and Juice10 are relegated.
Chicago 1871 are 3rd Division champions, repeating the feat of last year’s champions with a perfect 21 points. Rogue Squadron are also promoted, a foregone conclusion after last week’s matches. The real battle was for the Dregs, the bottom of the Brew City barrel. Seventh place Appleton Aarhus went into their match with last place FC Stalingrad on 6/-72 to 3/-65 for Stalingrad. Win, draw or lose by three or less, would have seen Appleton avoid Dregs ignominy. Instead Aarhus stumbled to a 17:38 whipping by the managerless Russians. Appleton Aarhus: Bottom of the Barrel!
- BCFA Fantasy League: Dynamo Silver Spring (658/51) maintained its 22-point advantage over Weirder Bremen (636/51), who are closely followed by Top Shelf (631/42) and Geckos (629/46). 6-8th are separated by three points; 10th and 11th by five; 11th and 12th by four; 14th and 15th by two; and 16th and 17th by three. Tight races up and down the table. With five weeks of MLS play remaining, and figuring a best-case five point average gain/loss per week, there could yet be major movement.
- MFLS Fantasy League: RevSolutions (693/50) remain top of all MFLS. They are followed by Chupacabra FC (683/45), FC Chunkers (677/46), Heresy House (663/42), FC Orlando 98 (659/49) and Brew City’s first representative, Dynamo Silver Spring (658/51), in sixth. The St. Louis Cure (656/36), ManaMana (655/56), Honkers Galore (652/51) and Stonebury United (650/49) round out the Top 10.
Brew City News (11-Sep-2007 : Week 23)
- League Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring usurped Pioneer Detasselers atop the standings by pounding Detasselers 74:43. Other results in the division mean three teams are in with a championship chance, while four could be relegated. The standings are Dynamo (12 pts / +35 ‘goal’ diff), Weirder Bremen (12/+22), Pioneer Detasselers (12/+18), Aviators (9/+12), Top Shelf (9/+8), Darcian Greywacke (9/-19) and Mike’s Ninja Turtles (6/-19). (Only Grass Pitch Please are down for sure.) The matchups are Weirder : Dynamo, Aviators : Pioneer, Grass : Darcian, and Mikes : Top Shelf. If Dynamo or Weirder win, they are champs. A draw in that match, plus a Pioneer win, would see Pioneer on top.The 2nd Division is just as tight: Geckos (12/+51) lead Surreywood Rangers (12/+42), In off the post (12/+20), Phoenix TS (12/+16) and Real Hillsdale (9/-7). Juice10, who are down for sure, could yet be joined by Shaolin Mystigods (6/-32), MurphDogs (6/-41) or even the aforementioned Real Hillsdale. The matchups are In off the post : Surreywood Rangers, Phoenix TS : Shaolin Mystigods, Real Hillsdale : MurphDogs, and Juice10 : Geckos.In the 3rd Division, Chicago 1871 remain perect with 18 points. They are joined in promotion by 2000 MFLS champion Rogue Squadron who strolled to a 45:29 win over last place FC Stalingrad. Blowout of The Week was Alewive FC’s 65:17 ass-stomping of Appleton Aarhus, who are Stalingrad’s only real competition for finishing last — an issue they will settle this week.
- Dynamo Silver Spring (74 points / 1st place) and Alewive FC (65/13) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25. It was Dynamo’s first appearance of the season, after setting a record seven MFLS Weekly Top 25s in 2006.
Brew City News (3-Sep-2007 : Week 22)
- League Cup: Pioneer Detasselers are top of the league for the third straight week, having edged Darcian Greywacke 30:29. Weirder Bremen, Aviators, Dynamo Silver Spring and Darcian Greywacke are all on nine points with two matches to play. In the 2nd Division, Geckos and Phoenix TS both lost: Geckos 39:42 to Surreywood Rangers, and Phoenix 24:39 to Real Hillsdale. In off the post are now top on 12 points, while Geckos, Surreywood Rangers and Phoenix TS are all on nine. In the 3rd Division, the top match featured two teams on a perfect 12 points: Rogue Squadron and Chicago 1871. Chicago emerged victorious 36:27, to easily secure promotion. Rogue need only one point from their final two matches to also go up, as the third through seventh place sides are all on six points.
- A bunch of team abandoners got all the top spots in the MFLS Weekly Top 25. In fact, the top seven teams between them have made exactly 0 (ZERO) moves all season long. Bring back the NAP!
Brew City News (28-Aug-2007 : Week 21)
- League Cup: Pioneer Detasselers remain top of the league thanx to a 33:5 destruction of Grass Pitch Please. Pioneer are on 9 points and +48 ‘goal’ difference; Darcian Greywacke are second, also on 9 points, but only -1 ‘goal’ difference. In the 2nd Division, Geckos and Phoenix TS remain #1 and #2, although Geckos 38:46 loss to In off the post, has seen their lead over Phoenix cut to a mere one ‘goal’ difference, +30 to +29. In the 3rd Division, hard luck Arrows S.C. finally got off the schneid, defeating Appleton Aarhus 36:20 to move from last to fifth place. Rogue Squadron and Chicago 1871 remain top, both on a perfect 12 of 12 points.
- Shaolin Mystigods (57 points / 7th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (21-Aug-2007 : Week 20)
- Silversmiths Cup: Alewive FC are champions of the division managers’ cup, having defeated Mug’O’Suds champion Mohawks (Nationwide Premier League) 31:8.
- League Cup: The 1st Division has its third leader in three weeks, Pioneer Detasselers, who defeated Mike’s Ninja Turtles 13:0. Former leaders Darcian Greywacke lost 15:30 to Weirder Bremen. Four teams are on six points; the other four are on three. In the 2nd Division, Geckos moved top by defeating arch-rival, and former number one, Phoenix TS 27:20. Phoenix hold on to the other promotion spot on ‘goal’ difference, +26 to -1 for In off the post. In the 3rd Division, the top three sides all won, but Rogue Squadron moved up to first on ‘goal’ difference, +22 to +21 for Chicago 1871. Alewive FC are still third. Arrows S.C. are a hard luck side: bottom of the entire league, having lost all three matches by a razor-thin margin of five ‘goals’.
- Surreywood Rangers (46 points / 9th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (15-Aug-2007 : Week 19)
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, Darcian Greywacke took over the top spot, defeating previous leaders Mike’s Ninja Turtles 24:21. Weirder Bremen and Dynamo Silver Spring are surprisingly without a point between them. In the 2nd Division, Phoenix TS are in first place, just +2 in goal difference ahead of arch rival Geckos, heading into this weekend’s showdown. Surreywood Rangers and Shaolin Mystigods are in the relegation spots without a point. In the 3rd Division, top side Chicago 1871 won the game of the week, defeating previously second place Appleton Aarhus 41:33. Rogue Squadron now have the other promotion spot.
- Chicago 1871 (41 points / 12th place) and Phoenix TS (40/14) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (9-Aug-2007 : Week 18)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Just like in 2006, the Mug Final, also known as The Last Call, ended 0:0 in normal time. #3 seed Top Shelf and #53 seed Mohawks both started Pickens in goal. After the first overtime — least goals given-up by the keepers (both had Pickens) — the teams were still level. After the second overtime (total team PKs), the teams were still level. After the third overtime (total team assists), the teams were still level. (Both had Twellman for one.) So, the Last Call went to the fourth overtime, a last gasp quiz question:
What 1974 World Cup semifinalist played for the Chicago Sting? Name and Country, please …
Mohawks answered first, Willem van Hanegem of the Netherlands. Wrong answer, but he was correct. The answer I had in mind was Robert Gadocha of Poland. I did not realize there was two (more?). Congratulations Todd Bevan!
- FA Cup Final: Phoenix TS won their second FA Cup in a nailbiter over Weirder Bremen, 23:22. Unlike last year, there were no last second MFLS scoring adjustments to reverse the result. Phoenix, the 2002 winners, won their first honor since 2004 when they finished in the MFLS Top 10. Congrats to Michael Thomas!
Brew City News (1-Aug-2007 : Week 17)
- Rogue Squadron (40 points / 3rd place) were the only Brew City FA side to finish in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (26-Jul-2007 : Week 16)
- League Cup: Weirder Bremen are Summer Champions, doing just enough to draw second place Dynamo Silver Spring 16:16. (A Dynamo win by three ‘goals’ would have made them champs on goal difference, +37 to +36.) In off the post and Surreywood Rangers are relegated, IOTP salvaging some pride by edging Rangers 25:23 to move up from bottom. In the 2nd Division, previously perfect Top Shelf mailed it in against Mike’s Ninja Turtles, losing 8:22. Mikes moved top on 19 points. Coming on strong, but falling short, Phoenix TS finished third on 16 points. The top four sides finished with a combined +316 ‘goal’ difference over the bottom four sides. Appleton Aarhus and FC Stalingrad are relegated. The 3rd Division was all drama. Alewive FC, which led for most of the season fell from first to third, having lost 8:21 to previously third place Geckos, who moved up to the second promotion spot. Division champion Juice10 moved up from second by defeating FC Springfield 27:18. In another division bottom struggle, JC Comets swapped up spots with Arrows S.C., on a 25:22 victory.
Brew City News (18-Jul-2007 : Week 15)
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, the only change in the standings was Aviators swapping places with Pioneer Detasselers, who drop to fifth place. With one week to play in the Summer Championship, Weirder Bremen are in first with 15 points and a +39 ‘goal’ difference. The only team with a hope of catching them are Dynamo Silver Spring, on 13 / +34. As the two sides play this week, a draw will be enough to see Weirder take the honors. Surreywood Rangers and In off the post are relegated. In the 2nd Division, first place Top Shelf edged third place Shaolin Mystigods 36:31, while second place Mike’s Ninja Turtles drew fourth place MurphDogs 23:23. It was a relief for the bottom four sides, who have been pummeled by the top four this season. Top Shelf are promoted, with Mikes and Phoenix contending for the second promotion spot. In the 3rd Division, first swapped places with second, fourth with fifth, and seventh with eighth. The three remaining promotion contenders are Alewive FC (15/+33), Juice10 (15/+19) and Geckos (12/+64). Geckos take on Alewive FC in their final match, while Juice10 host FC Springfield.
- FA Cup: Due to my week 13 screwup, Pioneer Detasselers and Weirder Bremen played the second leg of their semifinal this week. Last week, Pioneer lost the narrow home decision 14:17. This week they found their offense, but their defense went MIA, as they were out-sprinted by Weirder Bremen 41:27. Weirder advance on 58:41 aggregate. Their week 18 final opponent will be Phoenix TS.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Top Shelf lost its semifinal second leg 5:4 to Dynamo Kyiv YCK, but still advanced on 9:7 aggregate. Dynamo had the bad luck to run into MFLS’s hottest team. Next up on the Top Shelf menu are surprise packet Mohawks, the #53 seed, who drew #2 seed Heresy House 3:3, to advance on 7:5 aggregate. The final is during week 18.
Brew City News (12-Jul-2007 : Week 14)
- League Cup: This was a week of blowouts, which saw 21, 25, 27 and 29-‘goal’ victories. In the 1st Division, Dynamo Silver Spring pounded Pioneer Detasselers 41:14. Weirder Bremen are still lead the Summer Championship. In the 2nd Division, Top Shelf continued venting its relegation anger, this week 42:17 on FC Stalingrad. Also Shaolin Mystigods defeated Appleton Aarhus 26:5. Finally, the Blowout of the Week featured Phoenix TS wrecking Real Hillsdale 40:11. The top four sides defeated the bottom four, extended their collective ‘goal’ difference from +215 to +306! In the 3rd Division, leaders Juice10 won the Game of the Week, defeating second place Geckos 38:34. Alewive FC move back into the runner-up spot on a 28:17 defeat of FC Springfield.
- FA Cup: Phoenix TS reversed their 11-‘goal’ first leg deficit in emphatic fashion, 40:16. The 2002 champions advancing on 63:50 aggregate over a dejected Mike’s Ninja Turtles. Due to last week’s scheduling mix-up, Pioneer Detasselers and Weirder Bremen played their first leg this week, Pioneer losing the narrow home decision 14:17. Pioneer and Weirder play their second leg in week 15. The final is week 18.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: In the semifinal first legs, Top Shelf took a giant leap towards advancing, hammering Dynamo Kyiv YCK 5:2. In the other semifinal, #53 seed Mohawks upset #2 seed Heresy House 4:2.
Brew City News (4-Jul-2007 : Week 13)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Top Shelf drew Dynamo Silver Spring 3:3 to advance on 8:5 aggregate. Top Shelf’s semifinal opponent will be Dynamo Kyiv YCK, who advanced on away goals 3:2 after drawing the first leg away at Alewive FC 3:3, then drawing again 2:2 at home. The Real New Britski-Mohawks quarterfinal ended 4:4 after both sides lost at home 1:3. Mohawks advances on the second tiebreak, least goals given up by keepers, having Pickens’ 0 to Perkins’ 1. The Aviators-Heresy House quarterfinal had the same situation, ending 7:7 after both sides lost at home 3:4. Heresy House also advance on the second tiebreak, courtesy of Pickens’ 0 goals, to Coundol’s 4 for Aviators.
- FA Cup: We got a problem: The way things shook out in group play and the first knockout round resulted in Weirder Bremen and Pioneer Detasselers playing in the League Cup and FA Cup the same week. That means doubling up the same result, which would not be fair, and which I always try to avoid. I just did not catch it until now. Since it is easier to adjust the FA Cup schedule, they will play their first leg this week, and second leg next week. The Mikes-Phoenix result from week 13 will stand as the first leg, with Mikes-Phoenix second leg being played this week. Because the two semis will be off kilter by a week, the final will not be until week 18. (Five teams have byes Week 16, and six have byes week 17.) … The Mike’s Ninja Turtles-Phoenix TS semifinal first leg ended 34:23 in Mikes favor.
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, Pioneer Detasselers lost a top of table clash 11:16 to still first place Weirder Bremen. Aviators move into second, ahead of Pioneer on goal difference. The 2nd Division had the Blowout of the Week, as FC Stalingrad were besieged at home 1:34 by Mike’s Ninja Turtles. Mikes and Top Shelf are laying waste to the division, as they have not yet dropped a point, and are on a combined +145 ‘goal’ difference. Throw in Shaolin Mystigods and Phoenix TS, and that number climbs to an eye-popping +215 over the bottom four sides! The 3rd Division has two new sides at the top, Juice10 and Geckos. Juice10 defeated previous number one Alewive FC 17:12. Geckos defeated previous number two FC Springfield 35:17. After four weeks, five teams have yet to gain a point: In off the post (1st Division), Appleton Aarhus (2nd), FC Stalingrad (2nd), JC Comets (3rd) and Arrows S.C. (3rd).
- Geckos (35 points / 6th place), Mike’s Ninja Turtles (34/9) and Shaolin Mystigods (also 34/9) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (28-Jun-2007 : Week 12)
- FA Cup: The second leg of the quarterfinal saw Juice10 reverse their first leg defeat 21:18, but fail to advance on 50:53 aggregate to Pioneer Detasselers. Weirder Bremen were drawn 28:28 by Grass Pitch Please, but still advanced 63:56. Mike’s Ninja Turtles defeated Shaolin Mystigods twice in a row to advance 69:59. Phoenix TS also won both legs against Surreywood Rangers, advancing on 69:58 aggregate. Phoenix TS are the only previous winner (2002) still in a competition which has only seen one repeat winner, Aviators (2001 and 2006).
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, Weirder Bremen have been top since early in the Spring session, this week defeating Aviators 28:21. Pioneer Detasselers are second on ‘goal’ difference, +29 to Weirder’s +36. In off the post and Darcian Greywacke are bottom without a point. In the 2nd Division, Top Shelf are top on a perfect 9 points, with a whopping +73 ‘goal’ difference, after hanging the Blowout of the Week, 50:14 on Real Hillsdale, who drop from third to sixth. Appleton Aarhus and FC Stalingrad are bottom on zero points. In the 3rd Division, Alewive FC and FC Springfield continued their tight struggle atop the standings. Springfield held the lead by one ‘goal’ after both week one and two. This week Alewive FC are top by a single ‘goal’ after defeating JC Comets 28:21, while Springfield struggled in the league’s lowest scoring match to defeat Chicago 1871 by 2:-3. The bottom four sides all lost, with the bottom three having a collective zero points to show from nine matches.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: The quarterfinals kicked off with Top Shelf rolling over fellow Brew City side Dynamo Silver Spring by a score of 5:2. After a stewards inquiry, Alewive FC were back in to the competition, at the expense of an honorable Glorydaze. The Dead Fish drew Dynamo Kyiv YCK 3:3. Real New Britski have a mountain to climb after losing at home 1:3 to Mohawks. Aviators lost 3:4 to Heresy House.
- Top Shelf (50 points / 3rd place) were the only Brew City FA side to finish in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (21-Jun-2007 : Week 11)
- I’ve only had 10 spare minutes to log in to MFLS the past week, so I did not even realize week 12 began on Wednesday (last night), so the week 11 results are a day late. No time really, at this point, to write up a report. Also, regarding scoring adjustments, like I said on 16-May, “Re-doing Brew City scores due to MFLS and/or MLS jiggering their stats after I have already generated the weekly reports is more work than I able to handle. It is made worse by the fact that such is nearly a weekly occurence. I barely have the time to do this once, let alone twice. This is my solution: Beginning this week, I am posting the reports on the morning of the week’s first game. (If I am out of town for the weekend, it will be done the morning before I depart.) Once I have posted the reports, they will not be re-done due to MFLS or MLS changes. Barring my own error, they are final.” Sorry, but I cannot do more, as I am already doing as much as I can.
- For the first time this season, three Brew City sides finished in the MFLS Weekly Top 25: Aviators (46 points / 5th place), Top Shelf (43/14) and Rogue Squadron (42/20) — former MFLS champions all. For Aviators and Rogue Squadron, it was their first appearance, and only Top Shelf’s second.
Brew City News (13-Jun-2007 : Week 10)
- FA Cup: Juice10 overcame a two ‘goal’ first leg deficit, defeating In off the post 21:15 to advance on 28:24 aggregate. Juice10’s quarterfinal opponent will be Pioneer Detasselers, who defated Darcian Greywacke 26:18 to advance on 35:27 aggregate. Weirder Bremen won both legs against Dynamo Silver Spring by a single ‘goal’, advancing on 51:49 aggregate. Weirder’s quarterfinal opponent will be Grass Pitch Please, who handily defeated low-scoring FC Stalingrad for the second week in a row, 39:11, to advance on 58:21 aggregate. In the bottom half of the bracket, Mike’s Ninja Turtles defeated Appleton Aarhus 22:15 to advance on 35:28 aggregate. Mikes’ quarterfinal opponent will be Shaolin Mystigods, who emphatically overcame a nine ‘goal’ first leg deficit, defeating Arrows S.C. 34:8 to advance on 42:31 aggregate. Surreywood Rangers defeated Real Hillsdale 34:18 to advance on 42:24 aggregate. Rangers quarterfinal opponent will be Phoenix TS, who defeated JC Comets 27:15 to advance on 45:22 aggregate. Phoenix TS are the only former FA Cup champions (2002) remaining in the competition. Aviators, are the only team to have won the FA Cup twice (2001 and 2006).
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, the two promoted sides both lost, Surreywood Rangers 34:39 to Grass Pitch Please, in the game of the week, and In off the post 15:26 to Pioneer Detasselers. Weirder Bremen are top, having handled Darcian Greywacke 32:18. In the 2nd Division, the teams relegated from the top flight both won, Top Shelf, in the blowout of the week, 43:15 over Appleton Aarhus, and Mike’s Ninja Turtles 22:18 over Real Hillsdale. The 3rd Division this season features two former League champions in JC Comets (2004) and Alewive FC (2000), plus a former MLS champion in Rogue Squadron (2000). That sort of star power, though faded, indicates the strength in depth that Brew City has, as indicated by two of the three losing, JC Comets 15:21 to Juice10, and Rogue Squadron 9:23 to Alewive FC.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Zooropa Statix were the only team without Angel, and were punisheed for it, being beaten 3:0 by two-time defending champions Aviators. (Zooropa have also failed to make any roster moves the past four weeks …) Every other team scored 3 or 4 goals, depending on who had Moor, Findley or Emilio. Nobody had the double-triple with Olsen. Other first knockout round, first leg, results: GameCocks 3:4 Dynamo Silver Spring, Elastic Norseman 3:4 Top Shelf, Alewive FC 3:3 Glorydaze, Dynamo Kyiv YCK 5:3 Causmos, Halmstad Swedes 4:3 Real New Britski, Mohawks 4:3 FC Sterling, and Heresy House 4:4 Alpine Dream.
- Top Shelf (43 points / 6th place) and Grass Pitch Please (39/14) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (6-Jun-2007 : Week 9)
- FA Cup: The knockout rounds began with a bunch of tight, low-scoring matches. There were two draws — Darcian Greywacke 9:9 Pioneer Detasselers and Appleton Aarhus 13:13 Mike’s Ninja Turtles. Three other matches with one or two-point margins — Juice10 7:9 In off the post, Weirder Bremen 19:18 Dynamo Silver Spring and Real Hillsdale 6:8 Surreywood Rangers. Phoenix TS established the largest early lead, winning by 11 away, 7:18 to JC Comets. Arrows S.C. did the business at home, 17:8 to Shaolin Mystigods. Grass Pitch Please also established an early lead, 19:10 to FC Stalingrad.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: The group rounds are complete. Group A standings were unchanged with Aviators (12 points) followed by Elastic Norseman (8) and Mohawks (7). In Group B, Dynamo Kyiv YCK (11) had already won the group last week; they are followed by Heresy House (10) and Partizan Bellevue (5). The Group C standings were also unchanged: Zooropa Statix FC (13) followed by Top Shelf (9) and Dynamo Silver Spring (6). Likewise Group D being unchanged: Real New Britski (15), Glorydaze (9) and Inferno FC (6). Group E was all scrambled: Alpine Dream (11) moving from third to first on a 1:2 defeat of previous first Halmstad Swedes (8), who dropped to second. Causmos (8) dropped from second to third after losing 0:1 to New Bedford Knights. Halmstad edged Causmos on goal difference, +2 to 0. Group F finished FC Sterling (12), GameCocks (9) and Alewive FC (9). The top two teams in each group, plus the four best third place sides advance. The advancing third place sides are Alewive FC (9), Causmos (8), Mohawks (7) and Dynamo Silver Spring (6). Though Inferno FC were level with Dynamo on points, Dynamo held the first tie-break (goal difference), -1 to -3. This is the knockout round draw:
u GameCocks (F2) 13 Dynamo Silver Spring (C3) 10 Elastic Norseman (A2) 3 Top Shelf (C2) 16 Alewive FC (F3) 4 Glorydaze (D2) 18 Dynamo Kyiv YCK (B1) 31 Causmos (E3) u Halmstad Swedes (E2) 23 Real New Britski (D1) 53 Mohawks (A3) 37 FC Sterling (F1) 1 Aviators (A1) 22 Zooropa Statix FC (C1) 2 Heresy House (B2) 15 Alpine Dream (E1) (seed, team, group place)
- League Cup: There were no games this week. The summer championship kicks off week 10.
- Alewive FC (28 points / 18th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (1-Jun-2007 : Week 8)
- League Cup: Darcian Greywacke are the Spring Champions, in what was, top-to-bottom, the tighest race in Brew City history.In the 1st Division, The top five teams all finished level on 12 points, with Darcian top at +37 ‘goal’ diff, over Aviators (+21), Grass Pitch Please (+1), Pioneer Detasselers (-3) and Weirder Bremen (a whopping -50). Mike’s Ninja Turtles, on 6 points, were relegated along with Top Shelf. Dynamo Silver Spring finished in sixth place, just above Top Shelf, as both were on 9 points, but Dynamo having the slight ‘goal’ difference advantage, -20 to -21. Top Shelf, who lost, were condemned when Weirder Bremen out-scored Dynamo 46:38, Weirder moving from seventh- to fifth-place. Top Shelf were the last Brew City side to have never served time in the lower divisions, having been in the top flight 18 straight seasons (six straight years). Top Shelf now share the top flight record at 18 seasons with Pioneer Detasselers.Promoted from the 2nd Division are Surreywood Rangers and In off the post. Surreywood were already up before this week, while In off the post (who were fourth) had to defeat Appleton Aarhus (28:18), and hope Real Hillsdale lost. Real duly complied, losing 19:25 to Phoenix TS. Geckos and Alewive FC were relegated.Promoted from the 3rd Division were FC Stalingrad and Murphdogs, who both lost. Arrows S.C., in third, were unable to capitalize, also losing, 20:27 to Juice10. FC Springfield, the league’s lowest scoring side by a long shot — 71 ‘goals’, or 27 fewer than even Alewive — finished rock bottom.
- FA Cup: Top Shelf’s disastrous Spring is complete, as they tumbled from second in Group A, all the way to fourth and out of competition. All four Group A teams finished level on 9 points, with the standings being JC Comets (+24 ‘goal’ diff), Juice10 (+7), Arrows S.C. (-14) and Top Shelf (-17). In Group B, Grass Pitch Please won going away, by four points over second place In off the post. FC Stalingrad won Group C. In Group D, Shaolin Mystigods had join group phase highest points on 15, tied with Group E champion Mike’s Ninja Turtles. In Group F, Darcian Greywacke, who were already through, won on ‘goal’ diff +46 to +1 for Surreywood Rangers. Aviators joined fellow power Top Shelf on the dole, having only six points. The advancing teams are bracketed as follows:
3 Juice10 (A2) 1 In off the post (B2) 1 Darcian Greywacke (F1) 1 Pioneer Detasselers (C3) 1 Weirder Bremen (E2) 1 Dynamo Silver Spring (D2) 1 Grass Pitch Please (B1) 2 FC Stalingrad (C1) 2 Appleton Aarhus (C2) 2 Mike's Ninja Turtles (E1) 3 Arrows S.C. (A3) 2 Shaolin Mystigods (D1) 2 Real Hillsdale (E3) 1 Surreywood Rangers (F2) 3 JC Comets (A1) 2 Phoenix TS (D3) (Division, team, group placing)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: There were not many changes in the group standings after the penultimate round. The only team for sure eliminated is New Bedford Knights, the #5 seed. (Wow!) Knights are on two points, while the top three Group E sides are all on eight. Group F was goals galore, with one exception. GameCocks won a track meet 6:4 over Portland Red Tide, while Alewive FC were steamrollered 0:7 by FC Sterling, who notched the 2007 group phase’s largest margin of victory. As of now, the cut off to advance to the knockout rounds is six points. The top four 3rd place sides are Mohawks (Group A / 6 points), Inferno FC (D/6), Alpine Dream (E/8) and Portland Red Tide (F/6). The top two teams, plus the four best third place sides advance.
- Weirder Bremen (46 points / 14th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (23-May-2007 : Week 7)
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, the top 4 sides all lost. Darcian Greywacke are still first despite losing a stultifying encounter 8:14 to Grass Pitch Please. Mike’s Ninja Turtles are still bottom, despite winning the blowout of the week, 25:-4 over Pioneer Detasselers. The six sides between Pioneers and Mikes are all on nine points. In the 2nd Division, Surreywood Rangers won the division, and are promoted, notching their fifth narrow win, 26:23 over Phoenix TS. (Rangers ‘goal’ difference is only +13.) Geckos are relegated with a week to go, being on four points, with sixth-place Phoenix TS on nine. In the 3rd Division, FC Stalingrad lead on 15 points and +76 ‘goal’ difference, virtually guaranteeing them promotion. They are followed by MurphDogs (13/+26) and Arrows S.C. (12/+20). None of three play each other in week 8.
- FA Cup: The Group C standings remain the same, despite the top two sides losing to the bottom two. In Group F, Darcian Greywacke became the final team to drop points, losing 8:26 to Surreywood Rangers. The following teams are through to the knockout stages: Grass Pitch Please (B), Shaolin Mystigods (D), Mike’s Ninja Turtles (E) and Darcian Greywacke (F). (The top two sides in each group, plus the four best third-place sides, advance.) It’s quite complicated at the bottom of the groups, but I do not believe anyone has been eliminated.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: In Group C, Zooropa Statix FC are the first team to qualify for the knockout stages, as they have a seven point lead over third place with two games remaining. Zooropa hung the blow out of the week on Dynamo Salem, 4:0. The Group E standings are unchanged, as both matches were draws: Alpine Dream 1:1 New Bedford Knights and Halmstad Swedes 0:0 Causmos. In Group F, despite sucking at fantasy points the last three weeks, Alewive FC move into first on a 2:1 defeat of former leaders Portland Red Tide. The other group leaders are Aviators (A), Dynamo Kyiv YCK (B), Real New Britski (D), and Causmos (E).Note that own goals (Goldthwaite) are not counted.
- After going four weeks without a MFLS Weekly Top 25 representative In off the post got Brew City off the schneid, scoring 32 points to place 18th.
Brew City News (16-May-2007 : Week 6)
- Re-doing Brew City scores due to MFLS and/or MLS jiggering their stats after I have already generated the weekly reports is more work than I able to handle. It is made worse by the fact that such is nearly a weekly occurence. I barely have the time to do this once, let alone twice. This is my solution: Beginning this week, I am posting the reports on the morning of the week’s first game. (If I am out of town for the weekend, it will be done the morning before I depart.) Once I have posted the reports, they will not be re-done due to MFLS or MLS changes. Barring my own error, they are final.
- FA Cup: In Group A, all four teams are level on 6 points. JC Comets won to go top, while Top Shelf remain bottom despite winning. In Group B, Grass Pitch Please are the new leaders, having “won” -1:-5. In Group C, FC Stalingrad lead on nine points, with a massive +59 ‘goal’ difference. In Group D, Shaolin Mystigods continue to lead, despite losing 8:20 to Phoenix TS. Group E is unchanged, with Real Hillsdale at the top. Group F was also unchanged, with Darcian Greywacke remaining top. Darcian are the only team with a perfect 12 of 12 points. At the bottom, FC Springfield got off the schneid, defeating Surreywood Rangers 24:18. Two weeks remain in group play.
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, Darcian Greywacke enjoy a three point lead and healthy +45 ‘goal’ difference. Aviators are second, followed by Pioneer Detasselers. In the 2nd Division, Appleton Aarhus dropped from first to third, after losing 9:20 to Phoenix TS. Surreywood Rangers move top, while Real Hillsdale assume the other promotion spot. In the 3rd Division, the top three teams all lost. FC Stalingrad stayed top, while MurphDogs leapt over JC Comets and Arrows S.C. into the other promotion spot.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: At the half way point of group play … In Group A, Aviators are still top, despite being drawn 1:1 by FC Chunkers. It was Chunkers third draw in three group matches. In Group B, Dynamo Kyiv YCK lead on seven points. In Group C, the standings are unchanged, with Zooropa Statix FC still in first. In Group D, Real New Britski are top on a perfect 9 of 9 points. In Group E, former leaders Alpine Dream were hammered at home 1:4 by Halmstad Swedes. Causmos move top. In Group F, former leaders Alewive FC were edged 1:2 by GameCocks — group play’s lowest scoring side with one goal in the first two matches. Portland Red Tide move top. Note that own goals (Stewart and Mastroeni) are not counted.
- Yet another week with no Brew City teams in the MFLS Weekly Top 25. The drought is starting to concern league meterologists.
Brew City News (7-May-2007 : Week 5)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: After two rounds of group play, the leaders are Aviators (A / 1st seed), Dynamo Kyiv YCK (B/18), Zooropa Statix FC (C/22), Real New Britski (D/23), Alpine Dream (E/15) and Alewive FC (F/16). Inferno FC, GameCocks and New Bedford Knights (the #5 seed!) are the only teams without a group point.
- League Cup: Six of the eight matches in the top two divisions were close affairs of six ‘goals’ difference or less, with two matches only a ‘goal’ apart. In the 1st Division, Top Shelf lost 15:16 to Grass Pitch Please, while Weirder Bremen lost 32:33 to Darcian Greywacke. Darcian lead on a perfect 12 points, or six more than the next closest team. In fact, five teams are on six points. In the 2nd Division, the standings were much jumbled around, with Appleton Aarhus and Surreywood Rangers moving into the promotion spots. In the 3rd Division, second place JC Comets lost a top-of-table clash 19:30 to first place FC Stalingrad, who are on a perfect 12 points. Arrows S.C. move to second on a 31:11 pasting of Rogue Squadron. Chicago 1871 are bottom of the entire league, the only league team without a point.
- FA Cup: Halfways through group play, two teams are on a perfect nine points: Shaolin Mystigods (Group D) and Darcian Greywacke (F). The other group leaders are Juice10 (A), Alewive FC (B), FC Stalingrad (C) and Real Hillsdale (E). FC Springfield are the only team without a group point, being outscored 24:82 over the past three weeks. Traditional powers Aviators and Top Shelf are well off the pace: Aviators are third in Group F, while Top Shelf are a lowly fourth in Group A.
- Alewive FC dropped out of the MFLS Top 25 (from 15th all the way to 63rd!) after four weeks, to be replaced by Arrows S.C. (135 pts / 19th place) and Darcian Greywacke (133/22).
Brew City News (4-May-2007)
- MFLS had a big crash last week, about transfer deadline time. The whole MFLS system is still in a state of flux. I waited until now to post results, to make sure (hope) the results were as accurate as possible, but that left me with little time for write ups.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Group play began.
- League Cup: Three out of the four Spring Championship rounds are complete.
- FA Cup: The second round of group matches.
- After four weeks, Alewive FC are amazingly still in the overall MFLS Top 25! (Up all the way to #15.)
Brew City News (24-Apr-2007)
- League Cup: After two weeks of the Spring Championship, Darcian Greywacke lead the 1st Division on six points, ahead of Top Shelf on goal difference, +10 to +8. They play for sole posession of the top spot this coming week. Surprisingly, Aviators are second last on 0 points, only ahead of Grass Pitch Please on goal difference, -8 to -21. In the 2nd Division, In off the post lead on six points, followed by five teams on three each. In the 3rd Division, JC Comets lead on six points, ahead of FC Stalingrad on goal difference, +28 to +18.
- FA Cup: The FA Cup kicked off with the first round of group play.
Brew City News (16-Apr-2007)
- Arrows S.C. (46 pts / 20th place) finished in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (9-Apr-2007)
- Alewive FC (36 pts / 9th place) finished in the MFLS Weekly Top 25. It is the first time the Rotten Fish have ever been in the overall MFLS Top 25. Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!
- Brew City FA’s 2007 lineup has been set. The 24 teams are Alewive FC, Appleton Aarhus, Arrows S.C., Aviators, Chicago 1871, Darcian Greywacke, Dynamo Silver Spring, FC Springfield, FC Stalingrad, Geckos, Grass Pitch Please, In off the post, JC Comets, Juice10, Mike’s Ninja Turtles, MurphDogs, Phoenix TS, Pioneer Detasselers, Real Hillsdale, Rogue Squadron, Shaolin Mystigods, Surreywood Rangers, Top Shelf, Weirder Bremen.
- Dropping out were acgc (2005-2006), Chaminade Red Devils (2006), Creel McCoys (2006), Midnights Children (2002-2006) and St. Lucie Clovers (2004-2006).
Brew City News (1-Apr-2007)
- All-American XI: Four years after the fact, and someone actually remembers — fondly! — my Turd of the Week column. How cool is that?