Brew City to Merge with NPL in 2009!
Brew City News (27-Oct-2008 : Week 31)
- MFLS Fantasy League: Hotspur are the 2008 MFLS Fantasy League champions. Hotspur (715/+19 points) waged a back-and-forth battle with FC Chunkers (709/+9) over the final months of the season, with the title not being decided until the final Sunday night MLS match of the season when DC United’s Devon McTavish was subbed out with the Columbus Crew leading 1:0. It is the second time Cristi Thomas’s FC Chunkers have finished runnerup, also coming second in 2004 her husband Dave’s Top Shelf — who are also on this year’s podium in third (689/+29). They are followed by Phoenix TS (677/+33) up a spot, Plattsburgh United (675/+26) down a spot, cincinnati contomati (642/+15), Avengers (633/+15), 4 Star Cannonball (627/+14), Houston Dynamo (625/+21) up two places, and puttputtfc (623/+18). Besides Top Shelf and Phoenix TS, eight other Brew City sides placed in the MFLS Top 100: #32 Grass Pitch Please (573/+17), #34 Aviators (566/+20), #41 MurphDogs (560/+33), #45 Mike’s Ninja Turtles (557/+19), #56 Rogue Squadron (549/+12), #70 Chicago 1871 (544/+32), #82 Dynamo Silver Spring (541/+33), and #85 Cánicas A.C. (539/+13).
- MFLS Prediction League: Hotspur are the 2008 MFLS Prediction League champions, completing an unprecedented fantasy/prediction double! Hotspur (451/+11 points) are followed by Drei Flüsse 59 (443/+11), REAL CLEARFIELD (441/+11), Vegas Winner (430/+12), SDFC Macross (429/+15) up two places, Clockwork Orange (429/+14) up a spot, La Roca (427/+11) down two more places, United Revolution (426/+21) up two places, TEAM GRETTA (421/+12), and Avengers (419/+17) up two places. Eight Brew City sides placed in the MFLS Top 100: #24 Cánicas A.C. (393/+11), #29 Top Shelf (387/+6), #31 Darcian Greywacke (384/+11), #34 Alewive FC (381/+17), #52 Aviators (363/+13), #59 Arrows S.C. (355/+9), #67 Juice10 (352/+3), and #72 Shaolin Mystigods (349/+11).
- BCFA Fantasy League: Top Shelf are the 2008 BCFA Fantasy League champions, their first title since 2004. Top Shelf (689/+29 points) are followed by Phoenix TS (677/+33), Grass Pitch Please (573/+17), Aviators (566/+20), MurphDogs (560/+33) up two places, Mike’s Ninja Turtles (557/+19) down a spot, Rogue Squadron (549/+12) down a spot, abandoned Chicago 1871 (544/+32) up a spot, Dynamo Silver Spring (541/+33) up a spot, and Cánicas A.C. (539/+13) down two places. The 116-point gap from first to third is the largest in Brew City history, topping the 107 points separating Top Shelf and Phoenix TS in 2004.
- John Thomson Cup: Cánicas A.C. are the 2008 John Thomson Cup prediction champions. For the second year in a row, Top Shelf (387/+6) are runnersup. They are followed by Alewive FC (381/+17), Aviators (363/+13), Arrows S.C. (355/+9), Juice10 (352/+3) down a spot, Shaolin Mystigods (349/+11), Dynamo Silver Spring (320/+8), and Sehome Mariners (304/+18). The standings being little changed over the final weeks, competition for places is sure to be fierce with the arrival of the eight former NPL clubs in 2009!
- Pioneer Detasselers (41 points / 22nd place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25, their first appearance since April, 2006.
Brew City News (20-Oct-2008 : Week 30)
- MFLS Fantasy League: Oh boy. Without a transfer for the past month, former top team FC Chunkers (700/+46), are back into first at the expense of double-candidate Hotspur (696/+35). This is a finish for the ages. They are followed by Top Shelf (660/+54), Plattsburgh United (649/+45) up a spot, Phoenix TS (644/+44) up two places, cincinnati contomati (627/+22) down two places, Avengers (618/+15) down a spot, 4 Star Cannonball (613/+17), United Revolution (610/+41) up four big places, and puttputtfc (605/+28). The Top 25 goes down to 568 points, a 23-point gain.
- MFLS Prediction League: Hotspur (440/+26 points) are still in first, holding an 8-point lead over Drei Flüsse 59 (432/+25) with one week to go. They are followed by REAL CLEARFIELD (430/+31), Vegas Winner (418/+29) up four big places, La Roca (416/+17) down two places, Clockwork Orange (415/+23) down a spot, SDFC Macross (414/+23) down a spot, Bucks (414/+23) down a spot, TEAM GRETTA (409/+28) up three places, and United Revolution (405/+17) down a spot. The Top 25 goes down to 382 points, a 18-point gain. Three teams are on 398 points, two on 396, four on 391, and two on 389, so tremendous changes are possible. High score this week was the 32 by BFC Mowers, with ten other teams on 31.
- BCFA Fantasy League: Top Shelf (660/+54 points) added another 10 vital points to their lead over second place Phoenix TS (644/+44). They are followed by Grass Pitch Please (556/+13) up a spot, Aviators (546/+1) down a spot while suffering post-League Cup hangover, Mike’s Ninja Turtles (538/+20) up two places this week, and eight places in the last four weeks, Rogue Squadron (537/+21) up a spot, MurphDogs (527/+9), Cánicas A.C. (526/+36) up a spot, abandoned Chicago 1871 (512/+10) down a spot, and Dynamo Silver Spring (508/+36) up a spot. Shaolin Mystigods and real Hillsdale are just behind, in 11th and 12th place, on 471 points.
- John Thomson Cup: Cánicas A.C. (382/+29 points) are first, up two places. They are followed by Top Shelf (381/+28), former leaders Darcian Greywacke (373/+11 points) down two places, Alewive FC (364/+28), Aviators (350/+24) up a spot, Juice10 (349/+21) down a spot, Arrows S.C. (346/+21), Shaolin Mystigods (338/+15), Dynamo Silver Spring (312/+23), and Sehome Mariners (286/+6). With an always wild & unpredictable final week of MLS action ahead, anything is possible!
- Top Shelf (54 points / 2nd place) and Phoenix TS (44/14) both placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25. In Top Shelf’s case, their five appearances on the list, beats previous team bests of four in 1999 and 2005.
Brew City News (14-Oct-2008 : Week 29)
- League Cup: Aviators are the 2008 League Cup champions. Aviators (15 points / +66 goals) trailed Dynamo Silver Spring (15/+73) going into their final week showdown, but Aviators pulled out the narrow 15:14 win for their Championship, and first since 2005.
At the bottom of the 1st Division, In off the post (6/-15) climbed off the last place mat, to stay up by the narrowest of margins, by defeating Cánicas A.C. 16:9. As a result, Cánicas (6/-16) were relegated, along with Geckos (6/-99).
Rogue Squadron are 2nd Division champions on a perfect 21 points. Mike’s Ninja Turtles (18/+81) are also promoted. At the bottom of the division, Surreywood Rangers (6/-94) — the worst of three six-point sides — and Real Hillsdale (0/-71) are relegated.
Alewive FC (18/+49) are 3rd Division champions. JC Comets (15/+2) are also on the up. Juice10 (10/+5), who were first four weeks ago, finished in fourth place after their third straight loss. For the second straight year, Appleton Aarhus “win” the Dregs dishonor for finishing Bottom of the League Barrel.
- BCFA Fantasy League: Top Shelf (606/+9 points) extended thier lead despite a subpar performance. They are followed by Phoenix TS (600/+5), Aviators (545/+15) up a spot, Grass Pitch Please (543/+11) down a spot, MurphDogs (518/+6), Mike’s Ninja Turtles (518/+15) up two more places, Rogue Squadron (516/+11) down a spot, abandoned Chicago 1871 (502/+29) amazingly up two places, Cánicas A.C. (490/+9) down a spot, and In off the post (474/+16) up two places. The greatest likelihood for volatility of places is from 10th to 14th spot, where In off the post, Dynamo Silver Spring, Shaolin Mystigods, Real Hillsdale and Darcian Greywacke are separated by only 11 points.
- MFLS Fantasy League: Hotspur (661/+13 points) are top for the third straight week, while previous #1 FC Chunkers (654/+16) clawed back some lost ground. Hotspur will have to work for their potential fantasy/prediction double. The top two are followed by Top Shelf (606/+9), cincinnati contomati (605/+25) up four places, Plattsburgh United (604/+13), Avengers (603/+12) down a spot, Phoenix TS (600/+5) down three places after a second straight sub-par week, 4 Star Cannonball (596/+15) down a spot, Gobias Utd (582/+26) up two places, and puttputtfc (577/+6) down a spot. The Top 25 goes down to 545 points, a 16-point gain.
- MFLS Prediction League: Hotspur (414/+10 points) extended their lead over previous top team Drei Flüsse 59 (407/+5). They are followed by La Roca (399/+10), REAL CLEARFIELD (399/+10), Clockwork Orange (392/+9) up two more places, SDFC Macross (391/+11) up two places, Bucks (391/+5) down a spot, Vegas Winner (389/+11) up a spot, United Revolution (388/+4) down three places, and SEVILLA F.C. (386/+11) up two places. The Top 25 goes down to 364 points, a 7-point gain. High score this week was the 23 notched by Lake Thunder, who are in 329th place.
- John Thomson Cup: Darcian Greywacke (362/+5 points) remain in first place. They are followed by Cánicas A.C. (353/+3), Top Shelf (353/+10), Alewive FC (336/+5), Juice10 (328/+16) up three places, Aviators (326/+3) down a spot, Arrows S.C. (325/+5) down a spot, Shaolin Mystigods (323/+5) down a spot, Dynamo Silver Spring (289/+0), and Sehome Mariners (280/+0). None of the other five teams which have scored prediction points this year made a week 29 prediction.
- Chicago 1871 (29 points / 18th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25, despite being abadoned for 20 out of 29 weeks this year, including no-move runs of 11 and (currently) 5 weeks. Which is why MFLS should bring back the Non-Apperance Point.
Brew City News (07-Oct-2008 : Week 28)
- League Cup: The championship comes down to a final week confrontation between leaders Dynamo Silver Spring (15 points / +73 ‘goal’ diff) and second place Aviators (15/+66). Dynamo’s seven ‘goal’ margin was unchanged from last week as they defeated Phoenix TS (9/+9) by 32:10, while Aviators defeated contenders Top Shelf (9/+13) by 24:2. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron sealed promotion with a 21:2 victory over Grass Pitch Please. Mike’s Ninja Turtles (15/+62), Grass Pitch Please (12/+10) and Darcian Greywacke (12/-10) are in for the other promotion spot. Real Hillsdale (0/-70) are relegated, while Surreywood Rangers (3/-95) must win, while hoping Shaolin Mystigods (6/+3) lose, and overcome a whopping 98 ‘goal’ deficit, in order to stay up. In the 3rd Division, Alewive FC (18/+71) are promoted champions. JC Comets (12/+1) are into second place after Juice10 (10/+6) lost for the second straight week to drop to third. Sehome Mariners (9/+20) also have a good chance of nipping the other promotion spot. West Bend Rivermen 1846 (9/-1) would also have a chance except … well … they are abandoned. Oops. Oh well. At the bottom, Appleton Aarhus (0/-65) have locked in the Dregs dishonor as the league’s bottom team, as second last place Pioneer Detasselers (6/-33) have a six point advantage with only a week to play.
- BCFA Fantasy League: The podium spots are unchanged, as the top clubs all under-performed this week. Top Shelf (597/+2 points) are first, followed by Phoenix TS (595/+10), Grass Pitch Please (532/+2), Aviators (530/+25), MurphDogs (512/+14), Rogue Squadron (505/+21), Mike’s Ninja Turtles (503/+30) up a spot, Cánicas A.C. (481/+3) down one, Shaolin Mystigods (475/+8), and abandoned Chicago 1871 (473/+15) hanging on to tenth.
- MFLS Fantasy League: Hotspur (648/+16 points) are top for the second straight week to previous #1 FC Chunkers (638/+19) who slightly recovered some of their deficit. They are followed by Top Shelf (597/+2), Phoenix TS (595/+10) up a spot despite their low score, Plattsburgh United (591/+19) up a spot, Avengers (591/+4) down two places, 4 Star Cannonball (581/+37) up three places for the second straight week, cincinnati contomati (580/+26) down a spot, puttputtfc (571/+39) up a huge six places, and Houston Dynamo (558/+17) up a spot. The Top 25 goes down to 529 points, a 16-point gain.
- MFLS Prediction League: The top six teams all wierdly scored five points. Hotspur (404/+5 points) remain on pace for an unprecendented fantasy/prediction double as former #1 Drei Flüsse 59 (402/+5) failed to claw back any points. They are followed by La Roca (389/+5), REAL CLEARFIELD (389/+5), Bucks (386/+5), United Revolution (384/+5), Clockwork Orange (383/+17) up five places, SDFC Macross (380/+3) down a spot, Vegas Winner (378/+6) down a spot, and ack (377/+5) down two places. The Top 25 goes down to 357 points, an 8-point gain.
- John Thomson Cup: Darcian Greywacke (357/+11 points) remain in first place. They are followed by Cánicas A.C. (350/+6), Top Shelf (343/+3), Alewive FC (331/+5), Aviators (323/+9) up a spot, Arrows S.C. (320/+3) down a spot, Shaolin Mystigods (318/+15) up a spot, Juice10 (312/+3) down a spot, Dynamo Silver Spring (289/+16), and Sehome Mariners (280/+8).
Brew City News (29-Sep-2008 : Week 27)
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, the only change in places were fourth and fifth swapping spots. Dynamo Silver Spring (12 points / +51 ‘goal’ diff) still lead a tight race. They are followed by Aviators (12/+44), Top Shelf (9/+35) and Phoenix TS (9/+31). In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron (15/+57) continue to lead on a perfect record, but cannot afford to relax the final two weeks, as Mike’s Ninja Turtles (12/+46) and Grass Pitch Please (12/+31) are right behind. Real Hillsdale (0/-49) and Surreywood Rangers (0/-99) are all but mathematically relegated. In the 3rd Division, Alewive FC (15/+49) are within a micron of promotion, after a thrilling 38:36 victory over still second Juice10 (10/+17). Third place is a distant JC Comets (9/-4). At the bottom of the league barrel, Appleton Aarhus (0/-43) look set to “win” the Dregs dishonor, as they are a distant six points behind abandoned West Bend Rivermen 1846 (6/-12) with only two matches to play.
- BCFA Fantasy League: Top Shelf (595/+19 points) are first, followed by Phoenix TS (585/+26), Grass Pitch Please (530/+27), Aviators (505/+15), MurphDogs (498/+30), Rogue Squadron (484/+26) up one spot, Cánicas A.C. (478/+11) down one, Mike’s Ninja Turtles (473/+35) up three places, Shaolin Mystigods (467/+10) down a spot, and abandoned Chicago 1871 (458/+30) unfortunately up two places.
- MFLS Fantasy League: FC Chunkers (619/+14 points) surrendered the top spot, in a big way, to Hotspur (632/+30), who have gained 64 points on Chunkers in four short weeks, aided, no doubt, by Chunkers having used up its yearly trade allotment. Top Shelf (595/+19) are third, followed by Avengers (587/+16), Phoenix TS (585/+26) up one spot, Plattsburgh United (572/+5) down one spot, Gobias Utd (554/+12), cincinnati contomati (554/+37) up five places, Honkers Galore (551/+10) down another spot, and 4 Star Cannonball (544/+30) up three places. The Top 25 goes down to 513 points.
- MFLS Prediction League: Hotspur (399/+19 points) are in first place, displacing season long leaders, and Cup Number #8247 champions, Drei Flüsse 59 (397/+12). They are followed by La Roca (384/+12) up one spot, REAL CLEARFIELD (384/+12) also up a spot, Bucks (381/+9) down two places, United Revolution (379/+18) regaining the two places they lost last week, SDFC Macross (377/+12) down a spot, ack (372/+13) up three places, TEAM GRETTA (372/+13) also up three places, and Vegas Winner (372/+11). The Top 25 goes down to 349 points.
- John Thomson Cup: Darcian Greywacke (346/+3 points) held onto first despite a poor performance. They are followed by Cánicas A.C. (344/+15) up a spot, Top Shelf (340/+9) down one, Alewive FC (326/+12), Arrows S.C. (317/+22) up three places, Aviators (314/+3) down a spot, Juice10 (309/+9) also down one, Shaolin Mystigods (303/+4) also down one, Dynamo Silver Spring (273/+8) up one place, and Sehome Mariners (272/+6) down one. Sixteen Brew City sides have made predictions this year, with twelve of those being regular participants.
- Dynamo Silver Spring (39 points / 23rd place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
- Get Active! The following teams are on notice for not paying attention to their teams the last several months, and need to make moves (trades or subs) or post messages in the forum each of the last six weeks of the season, or they will not be invited back in 2009:
*West Bend Rivermen 1846: Absent weeks 8-present.
*Chicago 1871: Absent weeks 12-22 and 24-present.
Brew City News (22-Sep-2008 : Week 26)
- League Cup: Dynamo Silver Spring remain top of the league, despite an awful performance, losing -2:1 to Geckos. Aviators are level on nine points, but trail 20 to 42 in ‘goal’ difference. Four teams are on six points, two on three. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron are one of two league teams with a perfect 12 points, having defeated Mike’s Ninja Turtles 16:9. The Turtles are second on nine points and +25 ‘goal’ difference, followed by Grass Pitch Please (9/+20) and Darcian Greywacke (9/+10). Real Hillsdale (0/-28) and Surreywood Rangers (0/-88) could be relegated, already, in the coming week 5. The 3rd Division has the league’s other team with a perfect 12 points, Alewive FC (12/+47), who retain that status with a most fortuitous -3:-7 decision over JC Comets. The dead fish meet second place Juice10 (10/+19) this upcoming week.
- BCFA Fantasy League: Top Shelf (576 points) are first, followed by Phoenix TS (559), Grass Pitch Please (503), Aviators (490), MurphDogs (468), Cánicas A.C. (467), Rogue Squadron (458), Shaolin Mystigods (457), Real Hillsdale (442), and In off the post (441). Every team in the table has an opportunity to move up or down several places before the of the season.
- MFLS Fantasy League: FC Chunkers (605/-4 points) may be about to blow their huge lead over second place Hotspur (602/17), who have gained 48 points in just three weeks. Third place is a still distant Top Shelf (576/0), who are followed by Plattsburgh United (567/+7), Phoenix TS (559/0), Gobias Utd (542/+41) up five places, Honkers Galore (541/+25) down a spot, KC Frostbite (528/+35) up four places, puttputtfc (520/+16) down a spot, and Baby Got Backe (520/+23) up two places.
- MFLS Prediction League: Drei Flüsse 59 (385/+9 points) are top. They are followed by Hotspur (380/+16) — who are in for a potential unprecedented fantasy/prediction double. They are followed by Bucks (372/+9), La Roca (372/+9), REAL CLEARFIELD (372/+9), SDFC Macross (365/+14) up two places, Above Relegation (363/+12) up a spot, United Revolution (361/+9) down two places, Vegas Winner (361/+9) down two places, and Clockwork Orange (360/+12) up two spots. Three teams are on 359 points, and another on 358.
- John Thomson Cup: Darcian Greywacke (343/+13 points) are first, followed by Top Shelf (331/+15) up a spot, Cánicas A.C. (329/+8) down one place, Alewive FC (314/+6), Aviators (311/+14), Juice10 (300/+12) up one spot, Shaolin Mystigods (299/+8) down one place, Arrows S.C. (295/+15), Sehome Mariners (266/+6) and Dynamo Silver Spring (265/+9).
- No Brew City teams in the MFLS Weekly Top 25. Lots of abandoned … err, “strategizing” … teams rode Landycake’s dress tails to big scores, though.
Brew City News (15-Sep-2008 : Week 25)
- League Cup: After three of seven rounds, seven sides have yet to obtain a result: In off the post (1st Division), Geckos (1st), MurphDogs (2nd), Real Hillsdale (2nd), Surreywood Rangers (2nd), West Bend Rivermen 1846 (3rd) and Appleton Aarhus (3rd). In the 1st Division, Dynamo Silver Spring are on top with 9 points and +45 ‘goal’ difference. They are followed by four teams on six points. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron (9/+34) are top, barely edging Mike’s Ninja Turtles (9/+32). Three teams are on six points. The 3rd Division has the most diverse standings, led by Alewive FC (9/+43). The dead fish are followed by teams on 7, 6, 6, 4 and 3 points.
- MFLS Fantasy League: FC Chunkers (609/+29 points) are top, but had their lead cut by 10 points, from 34 to 24. They are followed by Hotspur (585/39), Top Shelf (576/36), Plattsburgh United (560/24), Phoenix TS (559/27), Avengers (555/41), Honkers Galore (516/8), United Revolution (511/30), puttputtfc (504/40) and Houston Dynamo (504/32).
- MFLS Prediction League: Drei Flüsse 59 (376 points) are top, as they have been nearly all season. They are followed by Hotspur (364), Bucks (363), La Roca (363), REAL CLEARFIELD (363), United Revolution (352), Vegas Winner (352), SDFC Macross (351), Above Relegation (351), Glendale FC (349), and SEVILLA FC (349).
- John Thomson Cup: Darcian Greywacke (330 points) are first, followed by Cánicas A.C. (321), Top Shelf (316), Alewive FC (308), Aviators (297), Shaolin Mystigods (291), Juice10 (288), Arrows S.C. (280), Sehome Mariners (260) and Dynamo Silver Spring (256). On their current pace, Alewive FC would be first had they not missed two weeks due to being on holiday.
- After last week’s record six teams, no Brew City side made the MFLS Weekly Top 25. Try not to be shocked: Lots of abadoned teams did though.
Brew City News (08-Sep-2008 : Week 24)
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, Dynamo Silver Spring are still top on a 64:39 hiding of Top Shelf. Chicago 1871 are second after their manager made his first moves in three months. Geckos, who are bottom, are already in severe trouble after only two weeks, on 0 points and -55 ‘goal’ difference. In the 2nd Division, it is a tight three-way race led by Rogue Squadron (6/+29), over Mike’s Ninja Turtles (6/+28) and Grass Pitch Please (6/+22). Mike’s Ninja Turtles and Grass Pitch Please play this upcoming week. In the 3rd Division, the Track Meet of the Week, and perhaps of the year, was Alewive FC’s thrilling 49:48 victory over Arrows S.C.. Juice10 (6/+18) are first, followed by Alewive (6/+11) and Arrows (3/+13). Juice10 and Arrows meet this upcoming week.
- MFLS Fantasy League: FC Chunkers (580/+35 points) remain Queen of the Hill with a very healthy 34-point lead over second place Hotspur (546/52). The rest of the MFLS Top 10 are Top Shelf (540/39), Plattsburgh United (536/23), Phoenix TS (532/34), Avengers (514/31), Honkers Galore (508/30), Gobias Utd (489/11), Baby Got Backe (485/22) and BuckeyeCrew (482/43). United Revolution (481/28) are just behind. Nine Brew City sides are in the MFLS Top 100.
- Dynamo Silver Spring (64 points / 1st place), Alewive FC (49/7), Arrows S.C. (48/9), Rogue Squadron (46/14), Mike’s Ninja Turtles (45/17) and MurphDogs (43/21) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25. As best historians can tell, the six teams in one week consitutes a new Brew City FA MFLS Weekly Top 25 record, four being the previous mark set several times in 2005 and 2006.
Brew City News (01-Sep-2008 : Week 23)
- League Cup: The League Cup kicked off after an extended post-Summer Championship break. Top Shelf, back up after their second one-season 2nd Division stint in two years are where they are accustomed to being: First place, after stepping on Geckos 28:9. Top Shelf are followed by the other traditional powers, Dynamo Silver Spring and Aviators. Top Shelf have won the League Cup a record four times: 2006, plus three-in-a-row from 2001-2003. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron are first after posting the Blowout of the Week, 36:10 over Surreywood Rangers. Rogue are followed by Mike’s Ninja Turtles and Darcian Greywacke. In the 3rd Division, Juice10 are top, followed by Arrows S.C. and Alewive FC.
- Dynamo Silver Spring (41 points / 3rd place), Arrows S.C. (37/11) and Rogue Squadron (36/14) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (25-Aug-2008 : Week 22)
- Top Shelf (58 points / 3rd place) and Darcian Greywacke (50/23) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (18-Aug-2008 : Week 21)
- Shaolin Mystigods (38 points / 8th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (11-Aug-2008 : Week 20)
- Grass Pitch Please (24 points / 24th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (04-Aug-2008 : Week 19)
- Top Shelf (38 points / 12th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (28-Jul-2008 : Week 18)
- Grass Pitch Please (32 points / 11th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (25-Jul-2008 : Week 17)
- Week 17 results were delayed due to the MFLS week ending with Tuesday night’s DC United-Houston match, which ended up getting delayed until Wednesday night due to a power outtage (wherein they lost the lights again).
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Much like the thrice delayed DC United-Houston match, unclean sheets and Maestro were forced into a replay of the Mug final due to power outtage after the match originally ended 2:2 after four overtimes. This week’s replay saw unclean sheets defeat Maestro 3:2. Both sides having Marshall and Donovan, with Alejandro Moreno being the difference. unclean sheets are champions. Congratulations Matt Bogan!
- FA Cup Final: Phoenix TS won their third FA Cup, and second in a row, by putting a defensive stranglehold on high-flying Top Shelf, 19:6. Phoenix won 11 of 13 matches, including every match in the knockout rounds. There is no truth to the rumor that the cup will be renamed the ‘Michael Thomas Trophy’.
- League Cup: Leaders In off the post lost 12:25 to Aviators, but second place Geckos lost to third place Cánicas A.C., who were far enough behind on ‘goal’ difference that their 15:13 victory was unable to make up the difference on IOTP. IOTP: Summer Champions. Aviators and Dynamo Silver Spring both narrowly avoided the drop, Darcian Greywacke and Rogue Squadron going down instead. In the 2nd Division, leaders Top Shelf and Phoenix TS both lost, but third place MurphDogs were unsurprisingly not able to overcome the +44 ‘goal’ difference to pinch a promotion spot. Bottom side Pioneer Detasselers have to be bitterly disappointed despite hammering Top Shelf 20:6: Along with Top Shelf, Pioneer are the most consistent team at staying in the 1st Division (21 seasons each), and now they will ply their trade in the 3rd. Appleton Aarhus join Pioneer in the drop, after falling from fourth spot on a 12:23 loss to MurphDogs. In the 3rd Division, Shaolin Mystigods and Mike’s Ninja Turtles were promoted two weeks ago. The only question of who would be champion being settled as the perfect teams met in the final week. It was not pretty, but Mikes emerged victorious, defeating the Monks 14:2. Best of the rest is Alewive FC.
Brew City News (14-Jul-2008 : Week 16)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: In the final between unclean sheets and Headhunter FC, regular time ended 2:2, as both sides scored through Morales and Buddle. After the first overtime (least goals given-up by the keepers), it was still 2:2, as both sides had Busch. After the second overtime (total team PKs), it was still 2:2, as there were no PKs in MLS this week. After the third overtime (total team assists), it was still 2:2, as Maestro had Beckham, unclean sheets had Barrett, and both had Klejstan. The fourth overtime would normally be a last-gasp quiz question, but due to an extended power outtage at the Stadium of Light, Mug officials have declared a replay to be conducted in week 17.
- League Cup: The race for the Summer Championship will go down the the final week, as In off the post are on 15 points and +43 ‘goal’ difference over Geckos (15/+56) and distant Cánicas A.C. (12/-5). Geckos and Cánicas A.C. meet this week, while IOTP face a proud Aviators squad holding on to their top-level status by their bloody fingernails. Aviators (6/-30) are in sixth, just above Dynamo Silver Spring (6/-36) and Rogue Squadron (3/-14). In the 2nd Division, Top Shelf (15/+70) and Phoenix TS (15/+44) both won. It would take a miracle of Dema Kovalenko turning Buddhist proportions for third place MurphDogs (12/0) to knock either leading side out of a promotion spot. In the 3rd Division, already promoted Shaolin Mystigods (18/+100) and Mike’s Ninja Turtles (18/+97) both won to set up their final week showdown for first place honors.
- FA Cup: In the first semifinal, Appleton Aarhus made a game of it, but fell short 18:21 to Top Shelf, who advance on 26:37 aggregate. In the other semifinal Phoenix TS scrapped by Geckos in the first leg, but won the second leg going away, 23:12, to advance 33:19. Thus, the 2008 final features the winners of the 2002 (Phoenix TS), 2004 (Top Shelf) and 2007 (Phoenix TS again) FA Cups.
Brew City News (8-Jul-2008 : Week 15)
- Cup Number #8247: Drei Flüsse 59 are the 2008 Champions. Currently the #1 predictor in all MFLS, Bryan Widell’s RevMFLS-side defeated Glorydaze 14:6. Glorydaze, #8 in MFLS, are managed by Paul Richards of the Nationwide Premier League.
Drei Flüsse 59
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: unclean sheets will meet Headhunter FC in an all-noobie final as two former champions failed to overcome first leg deficits. unclean sheets blanked defending champions Mohawks for the second straight week, 0:0, to advance 2:0. Top Shelf at least won its second leg, 2:1, to level its tie with Maestro at 4:4, but Maestro advanced on away goals 3:2.
- League Cup: Despite losing 6:13 to Chicago 1871, In off the post remain atop the 1st Division, with 12 points. IOTP are followed by four teams on nine points. In the 2nd Division, Top Shelf moved top by defeating Grass Pitch Please 7:16. Top Shelf are on 12 points and +60 ‘goal’ difference, over Phoenix TS (12/+35). In the 3rd Division, Shaolin Mystigods and Mike’s Ninja Turtles sealed promotion with two weeks to spare. Both sides have perfect summer session records, with their week 17 matchup likely to decide the honors. Fighting over the scraps are Sehome Mariners (7/+9), Alewive FC (6/-47) and three teams on four points.
- FA Cup: In the semifinal first leg, both home sides lost, Appleton Aarhus 8:16 to Top Shelf and Geckos 7:10 to Phoenix TS — making an all-previous champion final very likely.
- Shaolin Mystigods (30/21) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (30-Jun-2008 : Week 14)
- Cup Number #8247: Drei Flüsse 59 won another close match, 20:18 to advance 33:29 over Alewive FC. Drei’s cup final opponent will be Glorydaze, who defeated Mohawks 20:9, to advance by a comfortable 34:20.
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Mohawks look unlikely to repeat as champions, after losing their semifinal first leg 0:2 to unclean sheets. 2002 champion Top Shelf are also behind the eight-ball, losing 2:3 to Headhunter FC.
- League Cup: In off the post usurped Geckos at the top of the 1st Division by defeating the little lizards in a top-of-table clash, 31:21. The four teams at the bottom are all on three points: Rogue Squadron (-7 ‘goal’ diff), Darcian Greywacke (-13), Aviators (-31) and Dynamo Silver Spring (-35). In the 2nd Division, Phoenix TS are top on 12 points and +40 ‘goal’ diff, followed by Top Shelf (9/+51) and Grass Pitch Please (9/+9). At the bottom, Pioneer Detasselers are the only league team without a summer session point. In the 3rd Division, Mike’s Ninja Turtles and Shaolin Mystigods both look set to yo-yo back up a level at the first asking, extending their lead over third place from five to six points. Assuming third place, up five spots in two weeks, are Alewive FC, who won their second straight, 15:10 over West Bend Rivermen 1846.
- FA Cup: Appleton Aarhus advanced to the semifinals 42:39 over Real Hillsdale, despite losing the second leg 23:16. Appleton’s next opponent will be 2004 champion Top Shelf, who rolled over Mike’s Ninja Turtles in both legs, to advance 65:29. The other semifinal will feature two time, and defending, champion Phoenix TS, who doubled up MurphDogs, to advance 67:41. Phoenix’s opponent will be Geckos, who defated Darcian Greywacke 44:15.
- Shaolin Mystigods (40/13) and Phoenix TS (39/19) both placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (23-Jun-2008 : Week 13)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: unclean sheets broke the 4:4 first leg deadlock, defeating Plattsburgh United 4:3 to advance 8:7. unclean sheets opponent in the first semifinal will be Mohawks, who blanked Aviators 3:0, to advance 5:2. The other semifinal will feature Top Shelf against Headhunter FC. Top Shelf defeated FC Chunkers 5:4 to advance 11:7. Headhunter FC will be Wizards MFLS first semifinal rep in many years. Alpine Dream defeated Maestro 2:1 in the second leg, to level the tie at 5:5, but Maestro advance on away goals 4:2. Thus, both of last years finalists — Top Shelf and champion Mohawks — are still in the hunt.
- League Cup: Geckos continue to lead the Summer Championship, on 9 points and +67 goal difference, over In off the post, who remain second on 9/+22. Dynamo Silver Spring continue to anchor the top flight, just below Aviators, who shockingly lost -5:23 to Geckos. In the 2nd Division, Real Hillsdale fell from first to third after being hammered 13:35 by resurgent Top Shelf, who move to second. Phoenix TS are top after edging Appleton Aarhus 28:26. In the 3rd Division, it looks to be a two horse race, with a 5-point gap between second and third. Mike’s Ninja Turtles are top on 9/+62, followed by Shaolin Mystigods on 9/+42. Alewive FC won their first match of the year, Arrows S.C. the unfortunate 13:11 victims.
- FA Cup: None of the four first leg quarterfinal matches were close matches: Real Hillsdale 13:26 Appleton Aarhus, Mike’s Ninja Turtles 21:35 Top Shelf, MurphDogs 13:28 Phoenix TS, and Geckos putting a screaching halt to Darcian Greywacke’s offense, 23:-1.
- Cup Number #8247: In the first leg of the semifinals, Alewive FC lost narrowly at home, 11:13 to Drei Flüsse 59, while Mohawks also lost at home, in an all Nationwide Premier League matchups, 11:14 to Glorydaze.
- Top Shelf (35/7) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25 for the second week in a row, the first Brew City side to accomplish that feat this year. The mid-season surge has Top Shelf up 942 places to 31st in just seven weeks.
Brew City News (16-Jun-2008 : Week 12)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Top Shelf were the high scorer of the quarterfinal first leg, and the only side to take take of advantage of both Buddle and Emilio’s hat tricks. They defeated FC Chunkers 6:3. The other matches were much closer: Plattsburgh United 4:4 unclean sheets, Mohawks 2:2 Aviators and Alpine Dream 3:4 Headhunter FC.
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, Geckos are the surprise leaders, winning their second match of the round, 30:27 over Rogue Squadron. At the other end of the division, traditional power Dynamo Silver Spring lost their second straight match, 21:22 to In off the post. The match of the day was in the 2nd Division as Phoenix TS won a track meet against Top Shelf 49:48. Despite the loss, Top Shelf move from fourth to third, behind Real Hilsdale and Phoenix TS. In the 3rd Division, Mike’s Ninja Turtles won the blowout of the week, 49:16 over Alewive FC. The Turtles are top, followed by Shaolin Mystigods and JC Comets.
- FA Cup: Defending champions Phoenix TS are on track for their third FA Cup, having hammered Chicago 1871 for the second straight week to advance on 72:20 aggregate. Phoenix will meet MurphDogs in the quarterfinal, the ‘Dogs advancing 38:13 over Surreywood Rangers. Geckos knocked out the other two-time FA Cup winners, Aviators, 57:23. Geckos will next meet Darcian Greywacke, who advanced 37:12 over Dynamo Silver Spring. The only ‘traditional’ power advancing to the quarters are Top Shelf, who advanced 79:42 over Grass Pitch Please. Top Shelf’s round-of-eight opponent will be Mike’s Ninja Turtles, who overcame a two-point first-leg deficit to advance 55:19 over Sehome Mariners. Appleton Aarhus lost their second leg, but advanced anyway, 45:28 over Rogue Squadron. Appleton will meet Real Hillsdale in the quarterfinals, as Real defeated Pioneer Detasselers 48:16.
- Cup Number #8247: monferno’s flame dance drew Alewive FC 15:15, but the stinking fish advanced anyway on 29:18 aggregate. Drei Flüsse 59 twice defeated Stanton Park Dips to advance 33:22. Alpine Dream had the week’s low score, losing 4:20 to Mohawks who advance 7:23. Glorydaze and SDFC Macross had another close match, SDFC winning 11:8, but failing by one point to advance, Peculiar advancing 27:26. The quarterfinal draw was then held, with Brew City’s Alewive FC facing the top predictor in all MLS, RevMFLS’s Drei Flüsse 59. The other semi features two NPL sides, Mohawks and Glorydaze.
- Phoenix TS, Mike’s Ninja Turtles (both 49 points / 12th place), and Top Shelf (48/17) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (9-Jun-2008 : Week 11)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Plattsburgh United overcame a one-goal first leg deficit, defeating Glorydaze 4:1, to advance on 5:3 aggregate. Their quarterfinal opponent will be unclean sheets who won both legs against Dynamo Silver Spring, advancing 3:0. FC Chunkers hammered Kingsbridge for the second straight week, to advance 8:1. Setting up an familial quarterfinal against Chunkers, Top Shelf defeated FC Sterling on 5:1 aggregate. Phoenix TS and Mohawks ended 5:5, with both sides winning 4:1 on the road. The first tie-break is least goals given up by keepers, giving Mohawks the advantage 0:2 (Rimando to Hesmer). Mohawks quarterfinal opponent will be Aviators, who defeated Elastic Norsemen 4:2. Alpine Dream and FC Orlando 98 drew both legs 1:1. First tie-break was 2:2 (Hesmer to Busch); second tie break is penalty kicks, of which only Ralston converted in week 11, but neither side had him; third tie break is total team assists, with Alpine Dream having the 1:0 advantage (Blanco). Alpine Dream’s quarterfinal opponent will be Headhunter FC, who drew their second leg against Partizan Bellevue 1:1, to advance on a narrow 2:1 aggregate.
- League Cup: The Summer Championship kicked off with Geckos stomping a mud hole in Dynamo Silver Spring 27:-9. The 36-point loss makes Dynamo early favorites to join the other traditional powers in the 2nd Division, such as Top Shelf and Pioneer Detasselers. In the 2nd Division, Real Hillsdale took the early lead on 26-point defeat of Surreywood Rangers, 17:-9. In the 3rd Division, the margins were much closer than higher up, ranging from 4 to 11 points. West Bend Rivermen 1846 are top after defeating Juice10 16:5.
- FA Cup: Blow outs were the order of the day in the first leg of the first knockout round, with seven of eight matches having 18-point or worse margins. Only Sehome Mariners and Mike’s Ninja Turtles had a tight match, and that at a staid 8:6. The other matches ended Real Hillsdale 17:1 Pioneer Detasselers (18 pts), Appleton Aarhus 19:1 Rogue Squadron (20 pts), Geckos 27:7 Aviators (20 pts), Darcian Greywacke 14:-9 Dynamo Silver Spring (23 pts), MurphDogs 15:-9 Surreywood Rangers (24 pts), Chicago 1871 -4:23 Phoenix TS (27 pts), Top Shelf 31:2 Grass Pitch Please (29 pts). So, the losers have some serious work to do in the second leg if they wish to make the quarterfinals.
- Cup Number #8247: The quarterfinals kicked off with Alewive FC gaining an 11-point advantage over monferno’s flame dance, 14:3. Two other teams also scored three points, and against each other: Alpine Dream and Mohawks will have it all to play for in the second leg. Two teams scored 19 points, but not against each other: Glorydaze edging SDFC Macross 19:15, and Drei Flüsse 59 handling underdog Stanton Park Dips 19:12.
Brew City News (3-Jun-2008 : Week 10)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Two teams are all but certain for the quarterfinals after the first leg of the first knockout round: Mohawks, who defeated Phoenix TS 4:1, and FC Chunkers, who defeated Kingsbridge 4:1. The only draw was Alpine Dream drawing FC Orlando 98 at 1 each. Other results are Glorydaze 2:1 Plattsburgh United, Dynamo Silver Spring 0:1 unclean sheets, Aviators 2:1 Elastic Norsemen, Top Shelf 2:1 FC Sterling and Headhunter FC 1:0 Partizan Bellevue.
- League Cup: The teams had an off week, in preparation for the Summer Championship kicking off in week 11.
- FA Cup: Other than one exception, there were not any major changes in the group standings after the final round of group play. In Group E, Top Shelf — Brew City’s top scorer of the week — defeated JC Comets 23:9, to go top, Geckos went from bottom into the knockout rounds be defeating previously top Mike’s Ninja Turtles 18:3. The following teams are through: MurphDogs (A1), Appleton Aarhus (A2), Pioneer Detasselers (A3), Surreywood Rangers (B1), Chicago 1871 (B2), Darcian Greywacke (B3), Real Hillsdale (C1), Grass Pitch Please (C2), Rogue Squadron (D1), Sehome Mariners (D2), Top Shelf (E1), Mike’s Ninja Turtles (E2), Geckos (E3), Phoenix TS (F1), Aviators (F2) and Dynamo Silver Spring (F3).
- Cup Number #8247: Top seed Heresy House were eliminated 23:0 by bottom seed Stanton Park Dips, after Heresy House failed to submit predictions the last two weeks. Also failing to submit predictions for a single leg of the tie were Real Talk Relli 99 and Elastic Norsemen. Alewive FC advanced on 43:28 aggregate over Hounds FC. Mohawks advanced 24:18 over Mike’s Ninja Turtles, after drawing the first leg at 15. Alpine Dream narrowly edged Cánicas A.C. 40:39. Drei Flüsse 59 had the highest two week total, advancing 50:24 over Seattle SC. SDFC Macross advanced 43:11 over Real Talk Relli 99. monferno’s flame dance advanced 31:29 over Dynamo Silver Spring, despite losing the second leg 12:17. And Glorydaze advanced 46:16 over Elastic Norsemen.
Brew City News (29-May-2008 : Week 9)
- The computer with my source files is hosed. No reports this week.
- League Cup: Darcian Greywacke are the Spring Champions, for the second straight year.
- Aviators (49 points / 17th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (19-May-2008 : Week 8)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: If a team scored a goal, it was because they had Kljestan. If they scored two, it was because they also had Christian Gomez, DeRosario or Cummings. As has been the Mug-long trend, 8 of 16 matches were draws. Due to all the draws, only one team has been eliminated from knockout round contention: Causmos, currently fourth in Group B, five points behind third place Halmstad Swedes, with one match to play. Group leaders are Alpine Dream (A), FC Chunkers (B), Mohawks (C), Dynamo Silver Spring (D — all the way up from third), Phoenix TS (E) and Glorydaze (F).
- League Cup: Match of the week was doubtless the pulsating encounter between In off the post and Top Shelf. Top Shelf desperately sought to avoid relegation, while IOTP were in the hunt for their first seasonal trophy. Brew City’s high score this week was 35 points … and both sides got it. Draw. 35:35. Top Shelf relegated with a week to go. Elsewhere in the 1st Division, Darcian Greywacke are top on 15 points and +51 ‘goal’ difference, over Dynamo Silver Spring (12/+37) and Cánicas A.C. (12/+28). Dynamo Silver Spring play Cánicas A.C. in week 9, while Darcian meet the desperate-to-salvage-some-pride Top Shelf. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron ensured promotion, defeating Shaolin Mystigods 17:11 to maintain their perfect record. Competing for the other promotion spot are Chicago 1871 (12/+36), Phoenix TS (12/+35) and extreme longshot Surreywood Rangers (9/-13). The top four sides play each other the final week. In the 3rd Division, MurphDogs lead on 15 points and +56 ‘goal’ difference, but are not assured of promotion as they are closely followed by West Bend Rivermen 1846 (15/+48), JC Comets (12/+39), and Appleton Aarhus (12/+27).
- FA Cup: For the second week in a row, JC Comets were involved in the blowout-of-the-week, this time on the wrong end of a 30:3 pasting by Mike’s Ninja Turtles. (Last week Comets went over 34:4 on Top Shelf.) Top Shelf bounced back to nearly equal that mark, hammering Geckos 35:10. In Group F, Dynamo Silver Spring defeated Alewive FC 12:11, meaning Alewive’s three matches this week were decided by a total of three ‘goals’. Alewive’s four group matches have been decided by 8, 4, 3 and 1 point. The group leaders are MurphDogs (A), Chicago 1871 (B), Real Hillsdale (C), Rogue Squadron (D), JC Comets (E), and Phoenix TS (F). With two group matches to play, Chicago 1871 and Real Hillsdale are already through to the knockout stage.
- Cup Number #8247: There were many close ties in the first knockout round. Stanton Park Dips advanced 22:21 over Top Shelf, despite losing the second leg 10:12. Real Talk Relli 99 advanced 23:21 over acgc. SDFC Macross advanced 24:23 over Shaolin Mystigods, despite losing the second leg 9:11. Hounds FC advanced 28:26 over Sehome Mariners, also despite losing the second leg, 9:15. Also advancing were Dynamo Silver Spring, Cánicas A.C., Elastic Norsemen, Glorydaze, Mohawks, Mike’s Ninja Turtles, Seattle SC, and monferno’s flame dance. A random draw, pooling the advancing sides, plus the four bye sides — Heresy House, Alewive FC, Drei Flüsse 59 and 2005 champions Alpine Dream — will be held on Tuesday, after the results have been confirmed.
Brew City News (12-May-2008 : Week 7)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: The fourth of six group games saw another six draws. In all, 19 of 32 group games have been draws. Only Group D has so far been draw-less. In Group A, Alpine Dream move top on a 4:1 shellacking of #1 seed RevSolutions. In Group B, FC Chunkers leapt from third to first on a 4:2 victory over FC Sterling. Group C is unchanged, Mohawks remaining top despite drawing Elastic Norsemen 3:3. FC Orlando 98 remain atop Group D despite dropping their first points, losing 1:4 to Headhunter FC. Group E is unchanged, Phoenix TS top, with a Mug-best 11 goals. Despite being only #801 in all of MLS, well below their usual Top 10 place, Aviators jumped from third to first in Group F by edging Partizan Bellevue 2:1. With two group matches remaining, no team is eliminated for sure, though Causmos come closest, being five points and nine goals out of third place in Group B.
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, Dynamo Silver Spring, on 12 points, continue to lead on ‘goal’ difference, +40 to +35, over Darcian Greywacke, Darcian narrowing the gap by six ‘goals’ on a 21:2 pasting of Aviators. Top Shelf are hanging by a bloody finger nail to their top flight status after losing 4:21 to Pioneer Detasselers. Top Shelf have lost all five matches and are 58 ‘goals’ in the hole. They must win their remaining two matches by significant margins, while hoping two of Geckos, Pioneer Detasselers or Aviators drop lose twice. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron maintained their perfect record, defeating Grass Pitch Please 25:10. In the 3rd Division, West Bend Rivermen 1846 dropped from ranks of the undefeated, losing 14:26 to MurphDogs, who move into the top spot. MurphDogs are on 12 point and +54 ‘goal’ difference, over JC Comets (12/+48) and West Bend (12/+39).
- FA Cup: Groups A, B and C remain unchanged: MurphDogs lead Group A on 9 points, and +47 ‘goal’ difference. The other three teams are all three points. Chicago 1871 top Group B on 9/+45. Real Hillsdale top Group C on 9/+53. Rogue Squadron lead Group D on 9/+27. Groups E and F were much jumbled about. In Group E, JC Comets are first from third, Mike’s Ninja Turtles second from first, Geckos third from fourth, and Top Shelf fourth from second. In Group F, Dynamo Silver Spring moved top, swapping spots with now second Phoenix TS, while woeful Alewive FC eeked out a 4:2 win over Aviators to move third at their expense. Unlike most FA Cup years, the third place teams are uniformly mediocre.
- Cup Number #8247: The second edition of Cup Number #8247 (the first was in 2005) kicked off. 2005 champions Mike’s Ninja Turtles drew 3:3 with the first round’s top seed Port City Navigators. The first leg’s other draw was Duck Butter Bandits 6:6 Seattle SC. Hounds FC had the week’s high score, defeating Sehome Mariners 19:11, closely followed by HootervilleRutabagas, who defeated Elastic Norsemen 18:12. Heresy House, Alewive FC, Drei Flüsse 59 and Alpine Dream have first round byes. The first round second leg is this upcoming week.
- JC Comets (34 points / 17th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25, their first honor since 2006.
Brew City News (8-May-2008)
- Of last year’s MFLS Top 25, 22 returned to play this year.Of those 22, only one has so far improved his position: Hotspur, from 12 to 3.Of the remaining 21 teams, only 3 are respectable this year: FC Chunkers (121), Heresy House (110) and acgc (108).The other 18 teams have dropped anywhere from 324 to a 1486 places.The total drop in places of last year’s MFLS Top teams is 15,848 places!
The *AVERAGE* drop of last year’s MFLS Top team is 720.4 places!
'07 .. Team ......................... '08 .... Diff --------------------------------------------------- 1 ... RevSolutions ................. 867 .... -866 2 ... Chupacabra FC ................... 947 .... -945 3 ... FC Orlando 98 ................ 477 .... -474 4 ... Dynamo Silver Spring ......... 753 .... -749 5 ... Honkers Galore ........................ 329 .... -324 6 ... Stonebury United ............ 1269 ... -1263 7 ... unclean sheets ............... 973 .... -966 8 ... FC Chunkers .................. 121 .... -113 8 ... Locomotive Baltimore ......... 993 .... -985 10 ... ManaMana ................ 614 .... -604 11 ... Weirder Bremen ... 1087 ... -1076 12 ... Hotspur ........................ 3 ...... +9 13 ... Heresy House ................. 110 ..... -97 14 ... The St. Louis Cure ........... 799 .... -785 15 ... FC Griffzach ................. n/a 16 ... Manifest Destiny ......... 1118 ... -1102 17 ... FC Rupture ................. n/a 18 ... Top Shelf .................... 973 .... -955 19 ... Aviators ..................... 533 .... -514 20 ... acgc ......................... 108 ..... -88 21 ... The Irons .................... 568 .... -547 22 ... Causmos ..................... 1508 ... -1486 23 ... DHU .......................... n/a 24 ... Tommys F.C. ................. 1291 ... -1267 25 ... Kingsbridge ............. 676 .... -651
Brew City News (5-May-2008 : Week 6)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Round three of group play was the Week of Robbie Rogers: The teams which had him tended to win 1:0 over those that did not. (14 of 24 teams were blanked, six scored one goal, three scored two goals, and only one had three goals.) FC Sterling had the big away win, 3:0 over Causmos to remain top of Group B. The Group C, D and F standings were also unchanged: Mohawks (C), FC Orlando 98 (D) and Glorydaze (F) up. Group A’s new leader is Plattsburgh United, who defeated previous leaders RevSolutions FC 2:0. Group E’s leader is still Phoenix TS, but Kingsbridge moved from fourth to second on a 1:0 defeat of Hotspur. FC Orlando 98 (D) are the only team on a perfect nine points, while Causmos (B) are the only team without a point.
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, the two teams solidly in the relegation spots are the two teams who have spent the most time in the top flight: Pioneer Detasselers and Top Shelf. Both have spent 20 seasons at the top, and only one in second tier. Bottom-place Top Shelf are especially in trouble, being the only team in the division with no points, and a goal difference 25 worse than second bottom Pioneer. Dynamo Silver Spring moved top having defeated previous leaders In off the post 17:-1. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron extended their lead at the top to six points, defeating Mike’s Ninja Turtles 19:5. Five team are on six points, while the two in the relegation zone are on three. In the 3rd Division, West Bend Rivermen 1846 eeked out a nervy 5:1 victory over Juice10 to maintain their perfect record. Alewive FC confirmed their status as the worst team in the league, losing -5:11 to Arrows S.C.. The rotting fish have scored precisely one net ‘goal’ in four weeks of competition.
- FA Cup: After two rounds of group play, all six groups have a clear leader on six points: MurphDogs (A), Chicago 1871 (B), Real Hillsdale (C), Rogue Squadron (D), Mike’s Ninja Turtles (E) and Phoenix TS (F).
- Cup Number #8247: 28 teams entered. Since there were 32 slots open, no teams were eliminated. The top four teams receive first-round byes, while the other 24 teams were randomly drawn into first-round matchups:
Heresy House : Bye Alewive FC: Bye Drei Flüsse 59 : Bye Alpine Dream : Bye Dynamo Silver Spring : Dynamo Salem Fox River FC : Cánicas A.C. HootervilleRutabagas : Elastic Norsemen Mizzo FC : Glorydaze Hounds FC : Sehome Mariners FC Chunkers : Mohawks SDFC Macross : Shaolin Mystigods Mike's Ninja Turtles : Port City Navigators Duck Butter Bandits : Seattle SC acgc : Real Talk Relli 99 Lowbrow Wanderers SC : monferno's flame dance Stanton Park Dips : Top Shelf
Brew City News (28-Apr-2008 : Week 5)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Group A had two more draws, making it three of four matches. RevSolutions FC are top on four points due to last week’s sole victory. The Group B and C tables are unchanged, FC Sterling (B) and Mohawks (C) leading. FC Orlando 98 are the new Group D leaders, having defeated Dynamo Silver Spring 5:3. Phoenix TS top Group E, hanging the week’s high score on Kingsbridge, 7:2. In Group F, Glorydaze move from third to first by edging previous leaders Aviators 5:4.
- League Cup: In the 1st Division, In off the post are top having defeated Aviators 25:15. Top Shelf are in real serious danger of only their second trip to the second division, having lost 11:16 to Dynamo Silver Spring to leave themselves bottom on zero points and -25 ‘goal’ difference. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron are top on a perfect nine points, having defeated Surreywood Rangers 17:10. Rogue are followed by Grass Pitch Please and Phoenix TS on six points, then five teams all on three points. In the 3rd Division, newcomers West Bend Rivermen 1846 are top on a perfect nine points and +47 ‘goal’ difference to an also perfect nine points and +24 ‘goal’ difference for the 2004 champions, second place JC Comets. Sehome Mariners are bottom with the league’s worst defense (63 ‘goals’ given) and tied for worst offense (5 ‘goals’ scored).
- FA Cup: Group play kicked off with five 20+ ‘goal’ blowouts, topped by Phoenix TS spanking Aviators 46:15. Phoenix TS top the Group of Death (F). The other early group leaders are MurphDogs (A), Chicago 1871 (B), Real Hillsdale (C), In off the post (D) and Mike’s Ninja Turtles (E).
- Phoenix TS (46 points / 20th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (22-Apr-2008 : Week 4)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Group play kicked off. The week’s high scorer was Phoenix TS, which defeated Hotspur 4:2 to top Group E. Other early group leaders are #1 seeded RevSolutions FC (A), FC Sterling (B) and Portland Red Tide (D). Group C is dead even with Mohawks having drawn Elastic Norsemen 1:1. Likewise Group F, with Aviators drawing Partizan Bellevue 2:2.
- League Cup: The poor scoring pace of the perennial heavyweights continued to affect the Spring Championship in its second round. In the 1st Division, Geckos are top on 6 points and +22 ‘goal’ difference, while Dynamo Silver Spring, Aviators, Pioneer Detasselers and Top Shelf are in the bottom half of the table, on a combined -46 ‘goal’ difference. In the 2nd Division, Rogue Squadron are top on 6 points and +8 ‘goal’ difference, followed by six teams on 3 points. In the 3rd Division, newcomers West Bend Rivermen 1846 lead due to a league best 35 ‘goals’ over the past two weeks. Returning Sehome Mariners are bottom on a league worst -41 ‘goal’ difference.
- FA Cup: The groups were seeded based on the standings in the MFLS division after week 4
Group A ----------------------- 1 Cánicas A.C. (1) 7 Appleton Aarhus (3) 13 Pioneer Detasselers (1) 19 MurphDogs (3) Group B ----------------------- 2 Shaolin Mystigods (2) 8 Darcian Greywacke (1) 14 Chicago 1871 (2) 20 Surreywood Rangers (2) Group C ----------------------- 3 Real Hillsdale (2) 9 Grass Pitch Please (2) 14 West Bend Rivermen 1846 (3) 21 Juice10 (3) Group D ----------------------- 4 In off the post (1) 10 Arrows S.C. (3) 16 Rogue Squadron (2) 22 Sehome Mariners (3) Group E ----------------------- 5 Geckos (1) 11 Top Shelf (1) 17 Mike's Ninja Turtles (2) 23 JC Comets (3) Group F ----------------------- 6 Phoenix TS (2) 12 Aviators (1) 18 Dynamo Silver Spring (1) 24 Alewive FC (3)
Brew City News (15-Apr-2008 : Week 3)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Highlight of the third play-in round was Portland Red Tide laying an 8:1 tonking on Pioneer Detasselers. Portland’s seven goal margin of victory is only matched by FC Sterling’s 7:0 victory over Alewive FC in the fifth group game of 2007 and Elastic Norsemen’s 8:1 victory over Hotspur the second leg of the 2006 quarterfinals. There were no eight goal scorers in 2003 or 2005, while 2004 had many eight goal scorers. No team has ever scored nine or more goals in a single Mug match.
2Kingsbridge 3:3 Shaolin Mystigods (Busch 0:0 Busch ... 1:0 pks) Zurich Lake Gnomes 2:4 FC Sterling Headhunter FC 3:1 Dynamo Kyiv YCK Birchfield Tuesday 1:2 Phoenix TS Pioneer Detasselers 1:8 Portland Red Tide eight goals from seven players Lowbrow Wanderers SC 3:3 Real New Britski3 (Busch 0:0 Wells ... 0:0 pks ... 2:3 assists) Io Fury 3:4 Partizan Bellevue Plattsburgh United 3:2 SDFC Macross
- League Cup: The Spring Championship kicked off with a trio of upsets as the three favorites all lost their 1st Division matches: Dynamo Silver Spring -1:7 Darcian Greywacke, Aviators -7:5 Geckos, and Top Shelf 4:14 Cánicas A.C. In the 3rd Division, JC Comets won their match despite scoring -9 points. (Their opponent, MurphDogs, had -10.)
Brew City News (8-Apr-2008 : Week 2)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: Results of the second play-in round:
FC Bayern Tampa 2:3 Kingsbridge GameCocks 1:4 Lowbrow Wanderers SC 1Birchfield Tuesday 3:3 Surreywood Rangers (Busch 0:1 Wells) Mike's Ninja Turtles 2:2 Headhunter FC3 (Wells 0:0 Wells ... no pks ... assists 2:3) Dynamo Salem 1:3 Shaolin Mystigods 1Zurich Lake Gnomes 4:4 Avengers (Busch 0:1 Wells) Arrows S.C. 1:2 SDFC Macross 4Pioneer Detasselers 1:1 Bulldawgs (Busch 0:0 Busch ... no pks ... assists 3:3 ... quiz!) What national teams did Alfredo S. di Stefano play for? (Argentina, Spain and Columbia)
- Shaolin Mystigods (56 points / 14th place) placed in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (31-Mar-2008 : Week 1)
- Mug’O’Suds Invitational: The Mug kicked off with the first play-in round:
Inferno FC 0:2 Pioneer Detasselers Mike's Ninja Turtles 2:0 HootervilleRutabagas Dynamo Salem 1:0 Juice10 SDFC Macross 1:0 1 FC Red Devils Hounds FC 1:1 Avengers1 (Guzan 1:0 Hesmer) 1Birchfield Tuesday 1:1 DWBs (Hesmer 0:1 Busch) Surreywood Rangers 2:1 Newport FC 1Zurich Lake Gnomes 2:2 Stanton Park Dips (Busch 1:2 Wells)
- Cánicas A.C. (33 points / 8th place) were the only Brew City FA side to finish in the MFLS Weekly Top 25.
Brew City News (11-Mar-2008)
- Current team count = 24 of 24:
- ★★ A double blue star indicates a Brew City FA original founding team which is still in the division as of 2007. (Brew City was founded in 1999.)
- ★ A blue star indicates a Brew City FA which has been in the division for five or more years.
- ★ A golden star indicates teams that may be replaced due to 2007 inactivity.
- 2008 possible team lineup:
IN: ★★ Alewive FC IN: Appleton Aarhus IN: Arrows S.C. IN: ★ Aviators IN: Cánicas A.C. (new 2008) IN: Chicago 1871 IN: ★ Darcian Greywacke IN: Dynamo Silver Spring IN: Geckos IN: Grass Pitch Please IN: In off the post IN: ★★ JC Comets IN: Juice10 IN: Mike's Ninja Turtles IN: ★★ MurphDogs IN: ★ Phoenix TS IN: ★★ Pioneer Detasselers IN: ★ Real Hillsdale IN: Rogue Squadron IN: Sehome Mariners (returnee 2008) IN: ★ Shaolin Mystigods IN: ★ Surreywood Rangers IN: ★★ Top Shelf IN: West Bend Rivermen 1846 (new 2008) OUT: FC Springfield OUT: FC Stalingrad OUT: Weirder Bremen (on sabbatical in 2008)
Brew City News (11-Jan-2008)
- New Look! Brew City is too big (200+ pages), and the HTML too poor in most cases, to re-do everything, but the most visited pages have been, or will be re-done.